A Group Homomorphism: Verifying ø(gh) = ø(g) + ø(h) for ø: Z → Z

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation was about verifying that the map ø_k: Z → Z given by ø_k(n) = kn is a homomorphism for any integer k, using the equation if ø(gh) = ø(g)ø(h) for all g,h in G then the map ø: G → H is a group homomorphism. It was clarified that the group operation for the integers is addition, not multiplication, and that the correct equation should be ø(g + h) = ø(g) + ø(h).
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

For any integer K, the map ø_k: Z → Z given by ø_k(n) = kn is a homomorpism. Verify this

Homework Equations

if ø(gh) = ø(g)ø(h) for all g,h in G then the map ø: G → H is a group homomorpism

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have barely any linear algebra so many taking this summer course wasn't the best idea, but I have PF so I'm good.
So...
if ø(xy) = ø(x)ø(y) for all x,y in Z then the map ø: Z → Z is a group homomorphism. ø_k(x) = kx and ø_k(y) = ky

but then
ø(xy) = kxy and ø(x)ø(y) = (xy)k^2

i'm new to this type of thinking, can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

For any integer K, the map ø_k: Z → Z given by ø_k(n) = kn is a homomorpism. Verify this

Homework Equations

if ø(gh) = ø(g)ø(h) for all g,h in G then the map ø: G → H is a group homomorpism

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have barely any linear algebra so many taking this summer course wasn't the best idea, but I have PF so I'm good.
So...
if ø(xy) = ø(x)ø(y) for all x,y in Z then the map ø: Z → Z is a group homomorphism. ø_k(x) = kx and ø_k(y) = ky

but then
ø(xy) = kxy and ø(x)ø(y) = (xy)k^2

i'm new to this type of thinking, can anyone help me out here?

The group operation for the integers is addition, not multiplication.

pasmith said:
The group operation for the integers is addition, not multiplication.

So you are saying it should read ø(gh) = ø(g) + ø(h)
?

PsychonautQQ said:
So you are saying it should read ø(gh) = ø(g) + ø(h)
?
No, he meant ##\phi(g + h) = \phi(g) + \phi(h)##. The + in ##\phi(g+h)## is the group operation of the domain (here Z) and the + in ##\phi(g) + \phi(h)## is the group operation of the codomain (here also Z).

What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a group. In other words, it maps elements of one group to elements of another group in a way that preserves the group operation.

What is the difference between a group homomorphism and a group isomorphism?

A group homomorphism preserves the structure of a group, while a group isomorphism also preserves the identity element and the inverse of each element.

How do you determine if a function is a group homomorphism?

To determine if a function is a group homomorphism, you must check if it preserves the group operation. This means that if you apply the function to the result of performing the group operation on two elements, it should be the same as performing the group operation on the images of the two elements under the function.

Can a group homomorphism be bijective?

Yes, a group homomorphism can be bijective. In fact, a bijective group homomorphism is called a group isomorphism.

What is the kernel of a group homomorphism?

The kernel of a group homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain of the function that map to the identity element in the codomain. It is denoted as ker(f) or ker(φ).