How Does xH Equal yH Imply x⁻¹y Belongs to H in Group Theory?

In summary, to prove xH = yH ⇔ x-1.y\inH, we must show that if xH = yH then x-1.y\inH and if x-1.y\inH then xH=yH. This can be done by using the fact that for every h in H, there is a h' in H such that xh = yh' and manipulating equations to show that x-1.y\inH.
gottfried

Homework Statement

Let H be a subgroup of G
Prove xH=yH ⇔ x-1.y[itex]\in[/itex]H

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If x.H = y.H then x,y[itex]\in[/itex]H
since H is a subgroup x-1,y-1[itex]\in[/itex]H
and the closure of H means x-1.y[itex]\in[/itex]H

Proving the reverse is my problem despite the fact that I'm sure is very easy but i just can't see it.

What I want to do is show that x-1.y[itex]\in[/itex]H implies x,y[itex]\in[/itex]H
In which case x.H=H=y.H.

How is the best way to show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]xH = yH[/itex] then [itex]x,y \in H[/itex]. This is not true. Consider the integers. And conside the sub group [itex]5Z[/itex]. Now, [itex]3+5Z = 8+5Z[/itex] but neither 8 nor 3 is in [itex]5Z[/itex]. So, if [itex]xH=yH[/itex] then for every [itex]h\in H[/itex] there is a [itex]h' \in H[/itex] with [itex]xh=yh'[/itex]. Now, use that fact to prove this direction.

Try to do something similar for the other direction. You know that there is some [itex]h \in H[/itex] with [itex]y = xh[/itex], see what you can make of that.

Thanks.

So we know that x=y.h for some h[itex]\in[/itex]H
therefore e=x-1.y.h
e.h-1= x-1.y
Therefore x-1.y[itex]\in[/itex]H since h-1[itex]\in[/itex]H

So the reverse could be

x-1.y=h[itex]\in[/itex]H
therefore y=x.h and this tells us xH=yH by the theorem that xH=yH ⇔ x=y.h for some h[itex]\in[/itex]H

yes, that seems correct to me.

Thanks for the help

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element.

2. What is the significance of proving xH=yH in group theory?

In group theory, proving xH=yH means showing that two subgroups of a larger group are equal. This is important because it helps us understand the structure of the larger group and its subgroups, and also provides a way to simplify calculations and proofs.

3. How can I prove xH=yH in group theory?

To prove xH=yH, you need to show that every element in xH is also in yH, and vice versa. This can be done by using the definition of a subgroup and the properties of group operations, such as closure, associativity, and identity elements.

4. Are there any specific techniques for proving xH=yH in group theory?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to prove xH=yH in group theory. These include direct proofs, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the specific problem at hand.

5. Can xH=yH be proven for all groups?

No, xH=yH cannot be proven for all groups. It is only applicable in certain types of groups, such as finite groups, cyclic groups, and abelian groups. In other types of groups, xH may not necessarily be equal to yH.