Group Theory Basics: Order & Cyclic Groups

In summary, the conversation discussed the definitions of ORDER and CYCLIC group. A cyclic group consists of powers of a single element and its order is the smallest power that equals 1. The order of a group is the number of elements it contains, and is always a multiple of the order of any element in the group.
rayveldkamp
I lost my notes for the Intro to Group Theory part of my algebra course last year, and need to know a coulple definitions before i go back to uni this year:
ORDER of a group, and
CYCLIC group.
Thanks

Ray Veldkamp

Physics news on Phys.org
a cyclic group is one that consists entirely of the powers of a single element, such as 1, x, x^2,x^3,x^4,...,x^n = 1.

this cyclic group has only n elements. thus the order of the group and of the element x is said to be n.

i.e. the order of an element is the smallest power of that elemenmt that equals 1.

this could be infinite. i.e. the integers are an infinite cyclic group, with elements which are not powers but multiples of a single element, namely 1, (for additive groups we say multiples, and for multiplicative groups we say powers).

the order of a group is simply the number of elements in that group.

the order of a group is actually always a multiple of the order of any element in that group.

Sure, I'd be happy to help refresh your memory on the basics of group theory.

First, let's define the order of a group. The order of a group is simply the number of elements in the group. For example, if we have a group of integers under addition, the order would be infinite since there are an infinite number of integers. However, if we have a group of integers modulo 5 under multiplication, the order would be 4 since there are only 4 elements in the group (1, 2, 3, and 4).

Next, let's discuss cyclic groups. A cyclic group is a group where all the elements can be generated by a single element, called the generator, through repeated application of the group operation. This means that if we take the generator and perform the group operation with itself multiple times, we will eventually get all the elements in the group. An example of a cyclic group is the group of integers under addition. The generator in this case would be 1, and by adding 1 to itself multiple times, we can generate all the integers in the group. Another example is the group of rotations in a square, where the generator would be a 90 degree rotation.

I hope this helps refresh your memory on these concepts. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are sets of elements that follow certain mathematical rules. These rules include closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What is the order of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group. The order of a group can also be thought of as the number of elements needed to generate all the other elements in the group.

3. What are cyclic groups?

Cyclic groups are groups that can be generated by a single element. This element is called a generator and is denoted by g. The order of a cyclic group is equal to the order of its generator. Cyclic groups are also called monogenous groups.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite cyclic groups?

Finite cyclic groups have a finite number of elements and are generated by a single element. Infinite cyclic groups, on the other hand, have an infinite number of elements and are generated by a single element as well. Examples of finite cyclic groups include the integers modulo n (Z/nZ) and the dihedral groups, while an example of an infinite cyclic group is the group of integers (Z).

5. What is the significance of cyclic groups in mathematics?

Cyclic groups have many applications in mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and cryptography. They also serve as the building blocks for more complex mathematical structures. In addition, the concept of cyclic groups has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic topology and representation theory.