Factoring and Ellipses: How to Solve for Width?

• Thread starter runicle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ellipses
In summary, the conversation is about factoring a question involving an ellipse and determining the width when the height is 10 units above the origin. The question is somewhat confusing and there is a discussion about whether the height represents the vertical distance and whether the width refers to the major or minor axis.
runicle
I'm trying to put this into factored form help me out and help me with ellipses I don't know what to do... Would i have to place the C that i solved into [tex] a^2 = 10^2 + 25.4^2 [/tex] http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/runicrice/?action=view&current=scan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My work is in the url...

If I read this correctly, the question is "What is the width of when the height is 10 units above the origin," which is somewhat of a confusing question.

10 units above the origin is point (0,10) which has x=0, and y=10.

Is the height, h = the vertical distance between the x-axis and the center of the ellipse?

Anyway, is the width considered the major axis or minor axis?

One can solve for either.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with solving equations and manipulating symbols to represent quantities and relationships between them.

2. How can I solve algebraic equations?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

3. What are the basic rules of algebra?

The basic rules of algebra include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the rules for combining like terms and solving equations.

4. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

5. How can I graph an ellipse?

To graph an ellipse, you need to know the coordinates of the center, the lengths of the major and minor axes, and the orientation of the ellipse. You can then plot points on a coordinate grid to create the ellipse.