How Do You Draw a Function from Its Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing a function and understanding its components. The solution involves plotting straight lines and parabolas and focusing on the parts where x is less than -1. The person seeking help expresses their gratitude for the explanation.
PhanicKnight

Homework Statement

I need to draw this function:
upload_2016-12-8_18-49-49.png

however I don't get how?
I have the solution
upload_2016-12-8_18-51-36.png

but I don't understand how do I get that from the given function. Someone please try to explain? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PhanicKnight said:

Homework Statement

I need to draw this function:
View attachment 110120
however I don't get how?
I have the solution
View attachment 110121
but I don't understand how do I get that from the given function. Someone please try to explain? Thanks

Can you plot straight lines and parabolas? If so, plot the graph of ##y=x+1##. It has slope ##1## and ##y## intercept ##1##. Notice that the part of your graph where ##x < -1## agrees with your graph, so just keep that part. Similarly, do the other two parts.

Likes PhanicKnight
Yes, that does it. I feel too dumb right now. Ah, thank you.

1. What is the purpose of drawing functions?

Drawing functions are used to create visual representations of data or concepts. They allow us to communicate complex information in a more accessible and intuitive form.

2. How do I use drawing functions?

Drawing functions can be used in various programming languages, such as JavaScript, Python, and Java. They typically involve specifying the coordinates, size, and appearance of the objects to be drawn, as well as any necessary mathematical calculations or data manipulation.

3. What are the different types of drawing functions?

There are several types of drawing functions, including basic shapes (such as rectangles, circles, and lines), text and font rendering, image manipulation, and more advanced functions for creating interactive or animated graphics.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my drawings?

Yes, most drawing functions allow for customization of color, size, shape, and other visual parameters. Some also have built-in features for adding textures, gradients, or other effects to enhance the appearance of the drawings.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing functions?

The limitations of drawing functions depend on the specific programming language and library being used. Some may have restrictions on the complexity or size of the drawings, while others may require more advanced coding skills to achieve certain effects. Additionally, the performance and rendering of the drawings may be affected by the capabilities of the device or browser being used.