Is the Higgs Field Solely Responsible for Imparting Mass to Particles?

In summary, the Higgs field is a concept in particle physics that explains how particles have mass. It "imparts" mass to particles which would not have it otherwise. This is different from how charge is given to particles by the electromagnetic field. The reason for this difference lies in the fundamental principles of quantum field theory, where giving mass to particles violates certain symmetries. Ultimately, the Higgs field is an essential part of the standard model of particle physics, and its role in giving particles mass is a crucial aspect of understanding the universe.
jnorman
I am trying to understand the Higgs field. I understand that mass and charge are measurable characteristics of particles. I have read that the concept of the Higgs field was to explain how particles have mass. The Higgs field supposedly "imparts" mass to particles which would not have mass if the Higgs field was not present.

Does this imply that charge is "imparted" to particles by the electromagnetic field? (I have not read anything that indicates such a thing.). If that is not how a particle has charge, and it is assumed that particles have charge intrinsically, why can we not assume that particles likewise have mass intrinsically?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jnorman said:
Does this imply that charge is "imparted" to particles by the electromagnetic field?
No. Charge and mass are completely different things.
jnorman said:
why can we not assume that particles likewise have mass intrinsically?
Giving particles a charge is easy (and even unavoidable) in quantum field theory, while "just giving mass" for some particles breaks very fundamental parts of the theory. I don't see how to explain that in more detail without going too much into quantum field theory.

jnorman said:
why can we not assume that particles likewise have mass intrinsically

As already said, giving charge is easy because it doesn't violate any symmetry...
Fermion masses are prohibited by chiral symmetry and Vector Boson masses are forbidden by gauge invariance.
In other words, put masses by hand and you won't have the standard model symmetry anymore.

jnorman said:
I am trying to understand the Higgs field. I understand that mass and charge are measurable characteristics of particles. I have read that the concept of the Higgs field was to explain how particles have mass. The Higgs field supposedly "imparts" mass to particles which would not have mass if the Higgs field was not present.

http://profmattstrassler.com/articl...higgs-field-works-with-math/1-the-basic-idea/
http://profmattstrassler.com/articl...-basics/fields-and-their-particles-with-math/

What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a fundamental concept in particle physics that is thought to give particles their mass. It is a theoretical field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles to give them their mass.

How was the Higgs field discovered?

The existence of the Higgs field was predicted in the 1960s by theorists Peter Higgs, François Englert, and Robert Brout. In 2012, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland confirmed the existence of the Higgs field by detecting the Higgs boson particle, also known as the "God particle".

What is the role of the Higgs field in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Higgs field is a crucial component of the Standard Model, which is the most widely accepted theory explaining the behavior of subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact and acquire mass through their interactions with the Higgs field.

How does the Higgs field interact with particles?

The Higgs field interacts with particles through the Higgs mechanism, which gives particles mass by slowing them down and making them heavier. Particles that interact more strongly with the Higgs field will have more mass, while particles that interact less will have less mass.

What are the implications of the Higgs field for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs field and the Higgs boson particle has provided scientists with a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It has also helped to confirm the Standard Model and has opened up new avenues for research, such as the search for dark matter and the possibility of new, undiscovered particles.