Basic ideal gas PV=nRT question ( fast )

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial mass of oxygen in a tank with a volume of 7.70×10^−2m^3 filled with oxygen at a gauge pressure of 3.30×10^5 Pa and temperature of 35.0 C. There is a small leak in the tank and the gauge pressure is measured to be 1.80×10^5 Pa on a day with a temperature of 23.9 C. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and converting the gauge pressure to absolute pressure by adding atmospheric pressure. The final step is to multiply the amount of oxygen (n) found using the ideal gas law by the molar mass to calculate the initial mass of oxygen in the
Luongo
A welder using a tank of volume 7.70×10^−2m^3 fills it with oxygen (with a molar mass of 32.0 ) at a gauge pressure of 3.30×10^5 Pa and temperature of 35.0 C. The tank has a small leak, and in time some of the oxygen leaks out. On a day when the temperature is 23.9 C, the gauge pressure of the oxygen in the tank is 1.80×10^5 Pa .

Find the initial mass of the oxygen.

i don't understand this crap. i used PV = nRT isolated n = (8.315)(35+273)/ (7.7e-2)(3.3e5)
then multiplied it to the molar mass and got the mass. which isn't right. Help? on what I am doing wrong? this is the only equation we were given.

Physics news on Phys.org
- you are given gauge pressures, but P in your ideal gas law equation is in absolute pressure - you need to convert gauge pressure to absolute pressure (that is, you need to add atmospheric pressure)

- check your algebra when calculating n - looks upside down to me...

- otherwise there's nothing wrong with the way you are going about it (use the ideal gas law to find the amount of oxygen in the tank [n] and use the molar mass to find the corresponding mass)

jamesrc said:
- you are given gauge pressures, but P in your ideal gas law equation is in absolute pressure - you need to convert gauge pressure to absolute pressure (that is, you need to add atmospheric pressure)

- check your algebra when calculating n - looks upside down to me...

- otherwise there's nothing wrong with the way you are going about it (use the ideal gas law to find the amount of oxygen in the tank [n] and use the molar mass to find the corresponding mass)
sorry typo, yes you're right i have to add 1atm of pressure but why? we were never told the reasoning

Well, it's more or less the same reason you had to add 273 to your temperature - the ideal gas law is defined in terms of absolute pressure and temperature.

Did you ever go over the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure in class?

jamesrc said:
Well, it's more or less the same reason you had to add 273 to your temperature - the ideal gas law is defined in terms of absolute pressure and temperature.

Did you ever go over the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure in class?

nope but i get it now, thanks.

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a formula that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of an ideal gas. It is represented as PV=nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant.

What are the units for each variable in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for pressure (P) are usually expressed in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), number of moles (n) in moles (mol), and temperature (T) in Kelvin (K). The ideal gas constant, R, has a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K.

How do you solve for a missing variable in the Ideal Gas Law?

To solve for a missing variable in the Ideal Gas Law, you must rearrange the formula to isolate the variable you are trying to find. For example, if you are trying to find the volume (V), you would rearrange the formula to V=nRT/P.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law perfectly, meaning that its particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. A real gas, on the other hand, has particles that do have a volume and can interact with each other, causing deviations from the Ideal Gas Law.

What are some practical applications of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law can be used to solve a variety of problems in many fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of gas-based systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and pressurized tanks. It is also used in weather forecasting and in the study of Earth's atmosphere.