Basic inclined plane problem

In summary, to find the coefficient of friction for a 5kg block sliding down an inclined plane at a constant velocity of 22 degrees, you first need to find the weight of the block and then multiply it by the cosine of 22 degrees to find the force acting against friction. Since the block is moving at a constant velocity, this force is equal to the force of friction. By setting the normal force times the coefficient of friction equal to the force of friction, you can solve for the coefficient of friction.
patton_223

Homework Statement

A 5kg block slides down an inclined plane at constant velocity. If the angle of inclination is 22 degrees, find the coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma
trig

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm only able to find the normal force, i suppose i could also use 98sin22 to get 36.71 but is this my net force? i just was never asked a question like this in particular before

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to figuring out the net force is the phrase:
"constant velocity"

In order to have a constant velocity, there must be 0 change in momentum
Forces are just change in momentum per change in time (when you take calculus it's the derivative of momentum).
So if the change in momentum is 0 then the sum of the forces, or net force, is equal to 0.

I'm hoping you can figure out the rest from here, if not let me know.

First you need to find the component of the block's weight in the direction of the motion. Multiply 5kg by 9.81 m/s^2 to find the weight. Now multiply this by the cosine of 22 degrees ( 5 x 9.81 x cos22). This will give you the force acting against friction.

Note: it always helps to draw a triangle on the side when solving for trig equations.

Because the block is moving constant velocity, this force you just found is being counteracted (or balanced) by the force of friction. Meaning they are equal. Now that you know the force of friction, you can solve for the coefficient of friction.

Normal force x coefficient of friction = force of friction. Plug in your numbers and divide.

1. What is a basic inclined plane problem?

A basic inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves a block or object sliding down an inclined plane, usually without friction, and calculating its motion and velocity. It is an important concept in understanding the principles of force, motion, and gravity.

2. What is the equation used to solve a basic inclined plane problem?

The equation used to solve a basic inclined plane problem is the Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The equation is written as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do you determine the angle of inclination in an inclined plane problem?

The angle of inclination in an inclined plane problem can be determined by using the equation tanθ = h/l, where θ is the angle of inclination, h is the height of the plane, and l is the length of the plane. Alternatively, the angle can also be measured using a protractor or inclinometer.

4. What are the key factors that affect the motion of an object in an inclined plane problem?

The key factors that affect the motion of an object in an inclined plane problem are the angle of inclination, the mass of the object, and the force applied to the object. Additionally, the presence or absence of friction can also significantly impact the motion of the object.

5. How can the concept of an inclined plane be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of an inclined plane can be applied in various real-life situations, such as ramps used for wheelchair accessibility, sliding boards or playground slides, and the loading and unloading of goods on trucks using ramps. It is also a crucial concept in engineering and construction, as it allows for the movement of heavy objects with less force.