Is a<-24 the Correct Solution to the Inequality Problem?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: So you might end up with two intervals of possible solutions, like x<-5, and -5<x<-1.##\frac{x-3}{x+5} < 2x####x-3 < 2x^2+10x####0 < 2x^2+9x+3####0 < (2x+1)(x+3)####0 < 2x+1## and ##0 < x+3####x > -1/2## and ##x > -3####x > -1/2####x > -3####x > -1/2## and ##x < -3##
MathJakob

Homework Statement

##\frac{a}{4}>\frac{a}{2}+6##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{2a}{2}>\frac{4a+48}{2}##

##a>2a+24##

So do I just plug random numbers in and see what I get? I realized right away that it has to be a negative number so I stuck in -30 and got

##-30>-60+24## Well that's true.

##-24>-48+24## This is false.

So ##a<-24## is this correct? Am I going about these the right way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you are correct, but here is a different approach to the problem:

a>2a+24

Your could simply treat the > sign as an = sign and thus, algebra plays its role;

a-2a>24
-a>24

Then divide both sides by -1 but when you multiply or divide an inequality by a negative number the sign switches from > to < or vice versa...

[itex]\frac{-a}{-1}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{24}{-1}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a<-24

Its the same answer but its avoids the random number input.

Hope this helped.

So do I just plug random numbers in and see what I get?
No, you can continue with the simplification. For example, subtract a on both sides, and think about the 24 afterwards.

Your intermediate step looks more complicated than necessary.

mfb said:
No, you can continue with the simplification. For example, subtract a on both sides, and think about the 24 afterwards.

Your intermediate step looks more complicated than necessary.

Here is another:

##\frac{y-3}{5}<\frac{y+2}{10}##

##\frac{10y-30<5y+10}{5y+10}##

##2y-3<1##

##y<2##

is this correct?

MathJakob said:
That does not make sense.

The result is wrong. Just try y=3, for example. Is the original inequality satisfied? Is your result satisfied?

mfb said:
That does not make sense.

The result is wrong. Just try y=3, for example. Is the original inequality satisfied? Is your result satisfied?

How about this:

##\frac{y-3}{5}-\frac{y+2}{10}##

##4y-2y-12+8##

##2y<8##

##y<4## ?

I just checked and now it doesn't work... how can I solve these without having to try lots of numbers?

Last edited:
MathJakob said:
Here is another:

##\frac{y-3}{5}<\frac{y+2}{10}##

##2y-3<1##

##y<2##

is this correct?

No, because its erroneous [itex]\frac{10y-30}{5y+10}[/itex] ≠ 2y-3

10y-5y<10+30 is what you should be doing. (Remember treat the inequality like an = sign, with the exception of dividing/multiplying with a negative number during simplification)

F1MH said:
No, because its erroneous [itex]\frac{10y-30}{5y+10}[/itex] ≠ 2y-3

10y-5y<10+30 is what you should be doing. (Remember treat the inequality like an = sign, with the exception of dividing/multiplying with a negative number during simplification)

oh right I see so I can just treat them like normal fractions.

##10y-30=5y+10##

##5y=40##

##y=8## so the correct solution is ##y<8## ? On wolfram is specifically says ##y<8## and not ##y=8## does this matter?

y<8 is the correct solution.
There is no = in your inequality.

MathJakob said:
oh right I see so I can just treat them like normal fractions.

##10y-30=5y+10##

##5y=40##

##y=8## so the correct solution is ##y<8## ? On wolfram is specifically says ##y<8## and not ##y=8## does this matter?

Yes, it does. Remember it's an inequality not a linear equation. I said treat it LIKE an = sign in the sense that algebraic rules are still valid for inequalities. The < remains because its saying [itex]\frac{y-3}{5}[/itex]<[itex]\frac{y+2}{10}[/itex] stays true for all values y<8 and it does.

Once you plug in y=8 you get 1<1 Which is false because 1 is not less than 1 its 1=1. And when you plug another number out of the inequality like say 9 you get 1.2<1.1 which again is false.

The logic is really shown in the term inequality. Your trying to find what values of y will this relationship stay true and those that produce an inequality.

Again, its not a linear equation you can't just replace the < with = its a relationship between those two sides.

A word of warning with this approach of treating < and > as like =. Suppose you had something more complicated, like ##\frac{x-3}{x+5} < 2x##. If you multiply through by x+5, as you would happily do with an equality, you do not know whether x+5 is positive or negative. So you do not know whether you should be reversing the inequality. Generally, all you can do here is treat the two possibilities separately.

1. What is a basic inequality problem?

A basic inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤ or ≥. It is used to represent a relationship between two numbers or variables, where one is greater or less than the other.

2. How do you solve a basic inequality problem?

To solve a basic inequality problem, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign by using inverse operations. Then, you can graph the solution on a number line to visually represent the solution set.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving basic inequality problems?

Some common mistakes when solving basic inequality problems include forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, not correctly applying the order of operations, and not considering the restrictions on the variable, such as when dealing with absolute value inequalities.

4. How can basic inequality problems be applied in real-world situations?

Basic inequality problems can be used to represent real-world situations such as comparing prices of products, determining the minimum or maximum amount of a resource, or analyzing data sets to identify trends or relationships between variables.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving basic inequality problems?

Yes, some strategies for solving basic inequality problems include always checking your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality, using a number line to visually represent the solution set, and being careful when dealing with negative numbers or fractions.