1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic inequality problem

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

##\frac{a}{4}>\frac{a}{2}+6##

3. The attempt at a solution

##\frac{2a}{2}>\frac{4a+48}{2}##

##a>2a+24##

So do I just plug random numbers in and see what I get? I realised right away that it has to be a negative number so I stuck in -30 and got

##-30>-60+24## Well that's true.

##-24>-48+24## This is false.

So ##a<-24## is this correct? Am I going about these the right way?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2
    Yes you are correct, but here is a different approach to the problem:

a>2a+24

Your could simply treat the > sign as an = sign and thus, algebra plays its role;

a-2a>24
    -a>24

Then divide both sides by -1 but when you multiply or divide an inequality by a negative number the sign switches from > to < or vice versa...

[itex]\frac{-a}{-1}[/itex] < [itex]\frac{24}{-1}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a<-24

Its the same answer but its avoids the random number input.

Hope this helped.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, you can continue with the simplification. For example, subtract a on both sides, and think about the 24 afterwards.

Your intermediate step looks more complicated than necessary.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    Here is another:

##\frac{y-3}{5}<\frac{y+2}{10}##

##\frac{10y-30<5y+10}{5y+10}##

##2y-3<1##

##y<2##

is this correct?

6. Aug 6, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

That does not make sense.

The result is wrong. Just try y=3, for example. Is the original inequality satisfied? Is your result satisfied?

7. Aug 6, 2013 #6
    How about this:

##\frac{y-3}{5}-\frac{y+2}{10}##

##4y-2y-12+8##

##2y<8##

##y<4## ?

I just checked and now it doesn't work... how can I solve these without having to try lots of numbers?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. Aug 6, 2013 #7
    No, because its erroneous [itex]\frac{10y-30}{5y+10}[/itex] ≠ 2y-3

10y-5y<10+30 is what you should be doing. (Remember treat the inequality like an = sign, with the exception of dividing/multiplying with a negative number during simplification)

9. Aug 6, 2013 #8
    oh right I see so I can just treat them like normal fractions.

##10y-30=5y+10##

##5y=40##

##y=8## so the correct solution is ##y<8## ? On wolfram is specifically says ##y<8## and not ##y=8## does this matter?

10. Aug 6, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

y<8 is the correct solution.
    There is no = in your inequality.

11. Aug 6, 2013 #10

Yes, it does. Remember it's an inequality not a linear equation. I said treat it LIKE an = sign in the sense that algebraic rules are still valid for inequalities. The < remains because its saying [itex]\frac{y-3}{5}[/itex]<[itex]\frac{y+2}{10}[/itex] stays true for all values y<8 and it does.

Once you plug in y=8 you get 1<1 Which is false because 1 is not less than 1 its 1=1. And when you plug another number out of the inequality like say 9 you get 1.2<1.1 which again is false.

The logic is really shown in the term inequality. Your trying to find what values of y will this relationship stay true and those that produce an inequality.

Again, its not a linear equation you can't just replace the < with = its a relationship between those two sides.

12. Aug 6, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A word of warning with this approach of treating < and > as like =. Suppose you had something more complicated, like ##\frac{x-3}{x+5} < 2x##. If you multiply through by x+5, as you would happily do with an equality, you do not know whether x+5 is positive or negative. So you do not know whether you should be reversing the inequality. Generally, all you can do here is treat the two possibilities separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted