1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic inequality question

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    Hi.

Tried to solve first problem in the book "Firfty Challenging Problems in Probability" and solved it although very ugly.

Then I check the answers and see the author use the following inequality:

[tex]r > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b[/tex]

Now correct me if I am wrong, but this implies that

[tex]

\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b

[/tex]

Right? Well, this does not seem right, does it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2
    Given: [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

Multiply by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}+1}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}*\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}+1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{2-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    sweet mother of god. thanks.

It is always the 1 that is omitted that confuses me. Plus I used sqrt(9) to ease the calculation.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4
    Sure, I just hope you understood the steps I took.

I'll lay it out in English just in case.

Basically you multiply top and bottom by the same thing (aka 1), then when you multiply the denominator, you'll remember that (x + A) (x - A) = x^2 - A^2. So for this we get 2 - 1 = 1 :)

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5
    yes I understood from the first reply, it's just so simple, hence my amazement.

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6
    Ah no worries. I wouldn't have thought to do this step either if this was me several years ago.

Once you see it the first time, it sticks to you. Once you practice it on a couple of problems it becomes natural. So whenever I see square roots like that in the denominator, I automatically turn on simplification mode (since I've seen it so many times).

Such is knowledge and life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook