What is the Inequality Used in Solving Probability Problems?

• Thread starter hassman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem in a book on probability and the use of an inequality by the author. The speaker also provides an explanation of the steps taken to simplify the equation.
hassman
Hi.

Tried to solve first problem in the book "Firfty Challenging Problems in Probability" and solved it although very ugly.

Then I check the answers and see the author use the following inequality:

[tex]r > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b[/tex]

Now correct me if I am wrong, but this implies that

[tex]

\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b

[/tex]

Right? Well, this does not seem right, does it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given: [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

Multiply by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}+1}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}*\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}+1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{2-1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{1}b=(\sqrt{2} + 1)b [/tex]

sweet mother of god. thanks.

It is always the 1 that is omitted that confuses me. Plus I used sqrt(9) to ease the calculation.

Sure, I just hope you understood the steps I took.

I'll lay it out in English just in case.

Basically you multiply top and bottom by the same thing (aka 1), then when you multiply the denominator, you'll remember that (x + A) (x - A) = x^2 - A^2. So for this we get 2 - 1 = 1 :)

yes I understood from the first reply, it's just so simple, hence my amazement.

Ah no worries. I wouldn't have thought to do this step either if this was me several years ago.

Once you see it the first time, it sticks to you. Once you practice it on a couple of problems it becomes natural. So whenever I see square roots like that in the denominator, I automatically turn on simplification mode (since I've seen it so many times).

Such is knowledge and life.

1. What is a basic inequality question?

A basic inequality question is a mathematical question that involves comparing two quantities using inequality symbols, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. These questions usually ask for the relationship between two values, such as which value is greater or less than the other.

2. How do you solve basic inequality questions?

To solve a basic inequality question, you need to follow the same rules as solving equations. You can add, subtract, multiply, and divide both sides of the inequality by the same number, as long as it doesn't change the direction of the inequality symbol. The solution to the inequality will be the values that satisfy the given inequality.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic inequality questions?

One common mistake is forgetting to reverse the direction of the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number. Another mistake is not considering the sign of the number when adding or subtracting it from both sides of the inequality.

4. How do you graph a basic inequality?

To graph a basic inequality, you first need to solve it and find the solution set. Then, you can plot the solution set on a number line, using an open circle for < or > symbols and a closed circle for ≤ or ≥ symbols. The shaded region on the number line will represent all the values that satisfy the given inequality.

5. Can basic inequality questions have more than one solution?

Yes, basic inequality questions can have more than one solution. In fact, the solution set can be an infinite number of values, depending on the given inequality. For example, the inequality x > 3 has an infinite number of solutions, such as 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.