1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Integral Question, e^(x^2)

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integrate e(x2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

e(x2) = (ex)2

substitute (ex) = u so (ex)dx = du

therefore

∫e(x2) dx = ∫u du

Unfortunately this is not the correct answer
    Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Do you know the Taylor expansion of ##e^x##?

4. Nov 23, 2013 #3
    The first line of your attempt is where you went wrong. [itex]e^{(x^{2})}\neq (e^{x})^{2}[/itex]. Rather, [itex](e^{x})^{2}=e^{x}e^{x}=e^{2x}[/itex]

Otherwise, I kind of suck at this kind of problem. I never remembered all the fun rules, so I would go the really long route:
    [itex]e^{(x^{2})}=1+x^{2}+x^{4}/2+x^{6}/6+x^{8}/24+x^{10}/120+...[/itex]
    so the integral would be
    [itex]x+x^{3}/3+x^{5}/10+x^{7}/42+x^{9}/216+x^{11}/1320+...[/itex]

From there, I guess good luck?

5. Nov 23, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can only express the integral of ##e^{(x^2)}## in term of nonelementary functions like the error function 'erf'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function Is that what you are expected to do?

6. Nov 23, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To expand on Dick's answer: it has been rigorously shown that it is impossible to express the indefinite integral of ##\exp(x^2)## in terms of a finite number of elementary functions. It is not just that nobody has been smart enough to figure out how to do it; it is proven that is it impossible for anybody to do, ever. Even if you write trillions of terms on a piece of paper as large as the solar system you still cannot write out the result exactly. Of course, you can express the result in non-finite terms, such as through an infinite series, etc.

7. Nov 23, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice expansion, Ray Vickson. I was just interested in what was expected. But that gave it more depth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted