Solving Basic Integrals: A Tutorial

• Thread starter lemonlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integration, which is the inverse operation of differentiation. To find an integral, you need to find an antiderivative function, which can be done using the power rule. For definite integrals, you need to evaluate the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits and subtract the latter from the former. The conversation also corrects a mistake in an earlier calculation and provides the correct expression for the antiderivative.
lemonlee

Homework Statement

I've been trying to find a website to explain this to me, but I'm still confused as to how to do an integral. The one that I have been trying to figure out is this:

Integral from 0 to d of F(x)dx

i can't figure out where the integral sign is either...sorry! but 0 is on the bottom and d on the top

Homework Equations

I know that it's almost the opposite of deriving an equation, d/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea! I need to figure this out for a quiz on thursday and my professor just confuses me more when i try to get help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The operations of differentiation and integration (or antidifferentiation) are pretty much inverse operations.

If you know, for example that
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} x^3 = 3x^2[/tex] then you know an antidifferentiation formula,
[tex] \int{ 3x^2 dx} = x^3 + C[/tex]

or equivalently,
[tex] \int{ x^2 dx} = \frac{1}{3}x^3 + C[/tex]

If you're working with a definite integral (with limits of integration), you still need to find an antiderivative, as you do with an indefinite integral like the ones above in my post. The only difference is that you evaluate the antiderivative at upper limit and lower limit and then subtract the latter from the former.

One thing you said, "opposite of deriving an equation, d/dx" is incorrect. You don't apply the d/dx operator to an equation; you apply it to a function.

so if the equation that I'm trying to intergrate is F=-kx^4
i first have to find the derivative of -kx^4=4x^3 (right?) and then

4x^3dx=1/4x4+C

and from there i put in the two values (d and 0) and subtract them to find the definite integral?

NO, because the derivative of (1/4)x4+ C is (1/4)(4 x3)= x3, not 4x3. You need to multiply your result by -4: [itex]\int -k x^3 dx= -k \int x^3dx= -4k x^4+ C[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
lemonlee said:
so if the equation that I'm trying to intergrate is F=-kx^4
i first have to find the derivative of -kx^4=4x^3 (right?) and then

4x^3dx=1/4x4+C

and from there i put in the two values (d and 0) and subtract them to find the definite integral?

No, what you have to do is find a function whose derivative is -kx^4. It will be some multiple of x^5.

HallsofIvy said:
NO, because the derivative of (1/4)x4+ C is (1/4)(4 x3= x3, not 4x3. You need to multiply your result by -4: [itex]\int -k x^4 dx= -k \int x^4dx= -4k x^4+ C[/itex].
Halls, the last expression on the right is incorrect. It should be [tex]-k \frac {x^5}{5} + C[/tex]

lemonlee,
The check for the above is to differentiate the result gotten by antidifferentiation.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(-k \frac {x^5}{5} + C )= -k \frac{5x^4}{5} + 0 = -kx^4[/tex]

Right- his answer had me integrating the wrong thing!

1. What are integrals and why are they important in science?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve. They are important in science because they allow us to determine important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume. They also help us solve complex problems in physics and engineering.

2. What are the basic steps for solving integrals?

The basic steps for solving integrals include identifying the function being integrated, determining the limits of integration, applying integration rules such as the power rule or substitution, and then evaluating the integral. It is also important to check for any special cases or restrictions.

3. How do I know which integration rule to use?

The integration rule to use depends on the form of the integral. For example, if the integral contains a polynomial function, the power rule can be used. If it contains a trigonometric function, trigonometric identities can be used. It is important to have a good understanding of different integration rules and when to apply them.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in integration functions that can be used to solve basic integrals. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and steps involved in solving integrals.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not checking for special cases or restrictions. It is always important to double check your work and make sure it aligns with the original integral and follows the correct steps.