How can I evaluate this integral using basic integration techniques?

• Thread starter whatlifeforme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the integral \displaystyle\int {\frac{1}{\sqrt{8x-x^2}} dx} using basic integration techniques. The suggested approach is to complete the square and then use a substitution. The final answer is given as arcsin(\frac{x-4}{4}) + c.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

I am reviewing some basic integration techniques. how would i evaluate this?

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int {\frac{1}{\sqrt{8x-x^2}} dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried multiplying by

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{8x-x^2}}{\sqrt{8x-x^2}}[/itex] but that isn't getting me anywhere.

should i use something like completing the square?

Physics news on Phys.org
Completing the square is a good way to begin. Afterwards, a clever substitution can help.

okay. I am stuck with the subtracted term.

[itex]\frac{1}{-\sqrt{(x^2 - 8x + 16) - 16}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{-\sqrt{(x-4)^2 - 16}}[/itex]

i don't think completing the square works here.

whatlifeforme said:
okay. I am stuck with the subtracted term.

[itex]\frac{1}{-\sqrt{(x^2 - 8x + 16) - 16}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{-\sqrt{(x-4)^2 - 16}}[/itex]

Looks like you pulled a negative outside of the square root. You can't do that! Try again.

Once you've fixed up the negative, try the substitution u=(x-4) and then consider what the derivatives of the inverse trigonometric functions look like.

great. thanks phosgene.

so we are looking at:

answer:
[itex]arcsin(\frac{x-4}{4}) + c[/itex]

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume.

2. What are the basic integration techniques?

The basic integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric substitution, and the use of integration tables or software. These techniques are used to solve integrals of various forms.

3. How do I know which technique to use for a specific integral?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form of the integral. It is important to recognize patterns and try to simplify the integral before applying a specific technique. Practice and familiarity with the different techniques will also help in choosing the most appropriate one.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when integrating?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrect substitution, incorrect use of integration by parts, and incorrect application of the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is important to double-check the solution and simplify as much as possible.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

Practice is key to improving integration skills. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques, and then solve a variety of integrals to gain familiarity and fluency. Seeking help from a tutor or practicing with online resources can also be beneficial.