Help Solving High School Math Integration Problem

• Thread starter mathmathmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the user is seeking help with solving a high school math problem under the substitution section. The equation is \int \frac{e^{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}dx and the user has tried two different substitutions but is still unable to solve it. The correct answer is 2e^x^.5.
mathmathmath
i've been having trouble solving this one for high school math:

it's under the substitution section

integrate:

[e^(x^0.5) ] / (x^0.5)

do you guys think you can help me with this one?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmathmath said:
i've been having trouble solving this one for high school math:

it's under the substitution section
Have you tried a substitution?? There are only a couple of choices to choose from, and one is really obvious.

And the LaTex for this equation is

[tex] \int \frac{e^{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}dx [/tex]

you can click on the equation to see the LaTex code.

Last edited:
Actually, once you have more experience integrating exponential functions, you will realize a substitution is not really necessary.

i'm still lost, and this is supposed to be a routine question :(

i think there is a property of e that i am not familiar with that might be holding me back. any hints?

i've looked at two ways, neither of which seem to be any good.

1. tried substituting u for x^.5, which seemed to do no good as it didnt offer a du/dx.
2. tried substiuting u for e^x^.5, using the idea that ln u = x^.5 for the denominator. again, this didn't offer me much help.

the answer for this one is 2e^x^.5, and working backwards didn't seem to give me any more ideas. sorry if I'm missing something blatant :(

Last edited:
To solve the problem via substitution, what substitution should you try?

To solve it in a more direct manner, try differentiating the numerator. What do you realize?

Let [tex] u=x^\frac{1}{2} [/tex],
so [tex] x=u^2 ;dx=2udu [/tex]
substitutes them into your integral, it become:
[tex] \int \frac{e^u}{u}2udu [/tex]

Last edited:
ah. :( after all the fuss about that root of x... thanks very much for all the help

What is integration in high school math?

Integration in high school math is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is also known as antidifferentiation, and is the inverse operation of differentiation. Integration is used to solve problems involving rates of change, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the steps for solving a high school math integration problem?

The steps for solving a high school math integration problem are as follows:

1. Identify the function to be integrated.
  2. Determine the limits of integration (the start and end points on the graph).
  3. Find the indefinite integral of the function.
  4. Substitute the limits of integration into the indefinite integral.
  5. Simplify the expression to find the numerical value of the integral.

What are the different types of integration techniques?

There are several techniques for solving integration problems, including:

• Substitution: involves replacing a variable with a new one to simplify the integral.
  • Integration by parts: involves breaking the integral into two parts and using a specific formula to solve.
  • Trigonometric substitution: involves substituting trigonometric functions for variables in the integral.
  • Partial fractions: involves breaking a fraction into smaller fractions and integrating each part separately.
  • Integration by tables: involves using pre-determined tables of integrals to solve specific types of integrals.

What should I do if I get stuck on a high school math integration problem?

If you get stuck on a high school math integration problem, here are some tips to try:

• Double check your work to ensure you have followed the steps correctly.
  • Try a different integration technique if one is not working.
  • Look for patterns or similarities in the problem to help guide your approach.
  • Ask a teacher or classmate for help.
  • Practice solving similar problems to improve your understanding of integration.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving high school math integration problems?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when solving high school math integration problems, such as:

• Forgetting to add the constant of integration (C) at the end of the solution.
  • Using incorrect limits of integration.
  • Not simplifying the expression correctly.
  • Making a mistake in the algebraic manipulation of the integral.
  • Forgetting to substitute the limits of integration into the indefinite integral.
It is important to double check your work and be careful with the steps to avoid these mistakes.