1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic integration

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate: 4cos(x/2).cos(x).sin(21x/2)
    2. Relevant equations
    ▪sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+sinBcosA
    ▪2sinAcosA=sin2A
    And obviously,
    ▪Integration of sinx is (-cosx)
    ▪Integration of cosx is (sinx)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ○I multiplied the numerator and denominator with sin(x/2)
    ○The numerator simplified to sin(2x)sin(21x/2) and in the denominator,we have sin(x/2).
    ○Now,I expanded sin(21x/2) by breaking 21x/2 into 10x and x/2 and using the above specified formula,which,on simplifying gives two terms.
    ○Now,the first term comes out to be sin2xcos10x,which can be integrated easily (well,maybe not one step but at least it can be done),but the second term is: sin(2x).sin(10x).cot(x/2)
    How to integrate this term,it just eludes me..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2017 #2
    Well I wouldn't recommend this approach. You should instead consider the product-to-sum identities in order to simplify the product of trigonometric terms into a simple sum of individual sine and cosine terms. For example, ##2 \cos \theta \cos \phi = \cos (\theta + \phi) + \cos (\theta - \phi)##.

4. Jun 16, 2017 #3
    Oh..ok,got it.Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted