Integrating 1/3x: Is it 1/3 ln 3x or 1/3 ln x?

In summary, the integral of 1/3x can be expressed as either 1/3 ln 3x or 1/3 ln x, as they only differ by a constant term. Taking the 1/3 out of the integral is a valid step, and both expressions are correct.
Mattofix
the intergral of 1/3x either equals 1/3 ln 3x or 1/3 ln x - i don't know which one is correct though because can't you take the 1/3 out of the intergral and then you get 1/3 ln x - so confused - i should really know this...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter which one you use, since they only differ by a constant:
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\ln(3x)=\frac{1}{3}\ln(x)+\frac{1}{3}\ln(3)[/tex]
where the last term is simply a constant, as claimed.

Mattofix said:
the intergral of 1/3x either equals 1/3 ln 3x or 1/3 ln x - i don't know which one is correct though because can't you take the 1/3 out of the intergral and then you get 1/3 ln x - so confused - i should really know this...
You are wrong about "can't take the 1/3 out of the intergral" ("intergral": Boston accent?). [itex]\int 1/(3x)dx= \int (1/3)(1/x)dx= (1/3)\int (1/x)dx= (1/3) ln x+ c[/itex]

arildno said:
It doesn't matter which one you use, since they only differ by a constant:
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\ln(3x)=\frac{1}{3}\ln(x)+\frac{1}{3}\ln(3)[/tex]
where the last term is simply a constant, as claimed.
Of course, you could also let u= 3x so that du= 3 dx and the integral becomes
[tex]\int (1/(3x)) dx= \int (1/u)(du/3)= (1/3)ln(u)+ C= (1/3)ln(3u)+ C[/tex]
As arildno points out, since ln(3u)= ln(u)+ ln(3), this just becomes
(1/3)ln(u)+ (1/3)ln(3)+ C and (1/3)ln(3)+ C is just a different "constant of integration".

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a function. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to find the area under a curve.

2. What is the difference between 1/3 ln 3x and 1/3 ln x?

1/3 ln 3x and 1/3 ln x are two different antiderivatives of 1/3x. The constant 3 in 1/3 ln 3x indicates that the antiderivative was found by using the chain rule, while 1/3 ln x is the result of integrating by parts.

3. How do you know which antiderivative to use?

The choice of antiderivative depends on the specific problem and the given initial conditions. In some cases, both antiderivatives may be valid solutions.

4. Can 1/3x be integrated using other methods?

Yes, 1/3x can also be integrated using substitution or partial fractions. The choice of integration method may depend on the complexity of the function and the available tools.

5. Is there a general rule for integrating fractions?

There is no general rule for integrating fractions. Each fraction must be approached individually using appropriate integration techniques.