1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Kinematics but I'm lost already

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is out in free space, in motion along a straight line, with a constant acceleration of 15 m/s2.
    At time t = 0, the object is at x = 0 meters, with a velocity of -80 m/s. Where is the object at t = 10s ?

a. - 50 m

b. 20 m

c. - 4 m

d. 75 m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure how to start this problem. This class for some reason does not use calculus, and the teacher is terrible so I have no idea what to do. My best guess would be that 70m and the way I tried this was assuming since V= -80 m/s and constant accel - 15m/s2 that t1= -65m and then to add 15 m every second until t10 = 70. Only problem is this is not an answer.

What should I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    At the Introductory Physics page where you posted this, there is a sticky at the top with different formulas in there. The link is <https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015> and the formula you need is in there. It's in the second post that Doc Al posted under "General".

You have all the information you need. Starting position, starting velocity, acceleration, and time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?