Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Basic Kinematics - Comments

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Here in Germany this is usually taught in the theory course (at Goethe University Frankfurt even already in the 1st semester!) in the context of rigid-body motion (basic theory of the spinning top).

4. Jul 2, 2016 #3
    Thanks. Do know textbooks in English that contain this material?

5. Jul 2, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

E.g., you find it in

Kibble, Berkshire, Classical Mechanics, Imperial College Press

I guess, in fact, you find it in any university theoretical-physics textbook.

6. Jul 2, 2016 #5
    That is a good book indeed. now I see how it is taught in the western tradition

7. Jul 20, 2016 #6
  8. Jul 20, 2016 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think that the title is a bit misleading. This is not "basic kinematics". For most people, or at least for me, basic kinematics are the kinematical equations that intro physics students see for motion with constant acceleration.

This article, which include rigid body motion and coriolis force, is way more advanced than those kinematical equations.

Zz.

9. Sep 18, 2016 #8
    Hello, I have tried to expand my horizon on "basic" kinematics and I run into the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation. Have you heard about it before?

If so, I have some follow up questions. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted