1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic kinematics help

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    hi, so here's a little background on why this may seem such a simple question to answer for others: I've never taken a physics course, or even a math course above the level of high-school precalculus. so here I am as a sophomore in college level intro. physics and have no idea how to solve any of these problems, as we are supposed to have a high-school physics background. alright, enough with that...

1. A young woman named Kathy Kool buys a sports car that can accelerate at the rate of 4.96 m/s2. She decides to test the car by dragging with another speedster, Stan Speedy. Both start from rest, but experienced Stan leaves the starting line 1.11 s before Kathy. If Stan moves with a constant acceleration of 3.67 m/s2 and Kathy maintains an acceleration of 4.96 m/s2, find the time it takes Kathy to overtake Stan.
    if I've read this correctly, we are given a1-4.96 m/s2, a2-3.67 m/s2, xo-0[for both racers], and vo-0[also for both racers]. we are looking for t1, the time at which Kathy's position is equivalent to Stan's position. again, if reading correctly, t1=t2-1.11s. I am using the (1) to reference Kathy and the (2) to reference Stan.

2. x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
    I would assume, as we are trying to find time at a certain point[the position where both racers have met], given acceleration, that would be the most useful equation.

3. okay, honestly, I don't know what to do.
    as we are relating two racers' relative positions and times, I'd assume we are trying to equate something like x= x_01 + v_01(t_01) + (1/2) a_1 (t_1)^2 to x=x_02 + v_02(t_02) + (1/2)a_2 (t_1)^2.
    I attempted subtracting the equations to rid myself of variables, and then subbing t_1=t_2-1.11s into the equation, but that was not correct.

okay, well, that is all I know. I know it's not much, and if you are all unable to help, I understand, as that looks to be a jumbled mess.
    well, I'll keep trying this myself, and hoping that someone is able to give me any advice, as I am really struggling to keep afloat here.

thanks all, Justin.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi anti404, welcome to PF.
    Your approach is correct.
    Since Stan starts first, t_1 = t_2 + 1.11s.
    Then x1 = x2. v_o = 0
    So 1/2*a_1*t_1^2 = 1/2*a_2*t_2^2.
    Substitute for t_1 and solve for t_2.

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    hi thank you for the help (and the welcome =]).
    so the final equation would probably look as such:
    1/2(a_1)(t_2+1.11s)^2=1/2(a_2)(t_2)^2.
    if I then carry out the squaring, I am left with:
    1/2(a_1)(t_2^2+2.22t+1.2321)=1/2(a_2)(t_2)^2

it as at this point that I have been flustered for the past few days; I actually had the correct equation before posting this problem, but I seem to lack the basic mathematical understanding to complete it. not to be a bother, but could someone help me finish the solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook