Reducing Stopping Time with Antilock Brakes

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying Astrophysics and Mathematics during their summer break and discussing a homework problem involving computerized antilock brakes and stopping time. The conversation also includes a clarification on notation and equations used in the problem.
negation
Hi, I'm an undergraduate commencing my first year in Astrophysics and Mathematics.
It's the summer break as of now and I'm doing some self-study on the relevant topics when school commences.

Homework Statement

On packed snow, computerized antilock brakes can reduce a car's stopping distance by 55%. By what percentage is the stopping time reduced?

Homework Equations

none

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the time-independent equation(as we call it) [itex] v_2^2-v_1^2=2A\Delta x [/itex].
For the case of stopping motion,[itex] v_2=0 [/itex] and [itex] A<0 [/itex] so let's define [itex] a=|A| [/itex],so we have [itex] v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]. [itex] v_1 [/itex] can be taken to be the same in cases of having antilock brakes([itex] \Delta x^*,a^* [/itex]) and having ordinary brakes([itex] \Delta x,a [/itex]).So we have:[itex]
\frac{\Delta x^*}{\Delta x}=\frac{a}{a^*}=0.55[/itex] which gives us [itex] a^*=\frac{a}{0.55} [/itex]
Now consider the equation [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_1 t [/itex]. Let's say the decrease in time is equal to [itex] \Delta t [/itex] so we have [itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^* (t-\Delta t)^2+v_1(t-\Delta t) [/itex] and [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_1 t \Rightarrow v_1=\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}[/itex]

[itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^*(t-\Delta t)^2+\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}(t-\Delta t) \Rightarrow \frac{a^*t}{2}(t-\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2)(t-\Delta t)+\Delta x^*t=0
[/itex]
Now we have an quadratic equation in [itex] t-\Delta t [/itex] which can be solved easily.Then you can divide the answer by t to get your answer.

Shyan said:
Consider the time-independent equation(as we call it) [itex] v_2^2-v_1^2=2A\Delta x [/itex].
For the case of stopping motion,[itex] v_2=0 [/itex] and [itex] A<0 [/itex] so let's define [itex] a=|A| [/itex],so we have [itex] v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]. [itex] v_1 [/itex] can be taken to be the same in cases of having antilock brakes([itex] \Delta x^*,a^* [/itex]) and having ordinary brakes([itex] \Delta x,a [/itex]).So we have:[itex]
\frac{\Delta x^*}{\Delta x}=\frac{a}{a^*}=0.55[/itex] which gives us [itex] a^*=\frac{a}{0.55} [/itex]
Now consider the equation [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_1 t [/itex]. Let's say the decrease in time is equal to [itex] \Delta t [/itex] so we have [itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^* (t-\Delta t)^2+v_1(t-\Delta t) [/itex] and [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_1 t \Rightarrow v_1=\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}[/itex]

[itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^*(t-\Delta t)^2+\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}(t-\Delta t) \Rightarrow \frac{a^*t}{2}(t-\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2)(t-\Delta t)+\Delta x^*t=0
[/itex]
Now we have an quadratic equation in [itex] t-\Delta t [/itex] which can be solved easily.Then you can divide the answer by t to get your answer.

I want to get used to the notation first.

1) What does (Δx∗,a∗) implies?
2) And if final velocity = 0, then why isn't there a negative in front of initial velocity?

negation said:
I want to get used to the notation first.

1) What does (Δx∗,a∗) implies?
2) And if final velocity = 0, then why isn't there a negative in front of initial velocity?

1)stopping distance and acceleration when the car has antilock brakes.
2)[itex]-v_1^2=2A\Delta x \Rightarrow -v_1^2=-2a\Delta x \Rightarrow v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]
I thought I made these points clear!

Likes 1 person
Shyan said:
1)stopping distance and acceleration when the car has antilock brakes.
2)[itex]-v_1^2=2A\Delta x \Rightarrow -v_1^2=-2a\Delta x \Rightarrow v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]
I thought I made these points clear!

That explains. Sorry man, it helps if there's 2 para spacing in between each lines. But thanks

1. What is basic kinematics motion?

Basic kinematics motion is the study of the movement of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What are the three types of motion in basic kinematics?

The three types of motion in basic kinematics are linear motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion. Linear motion is when an object moves along a straight line, rotational motion is when an object spins or rotates around a fixed axis, and oscillatory motion is when an object moves back and forth around a central point.

3. How is velocity different from speed in basic kinematics?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in basic kinematics. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion.

4. What is the equation for calculating acceleration in basic kinematics?

The equation for calculating acceleration in basic kinematics is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This equation can be rearranged as vf = vi + at or t = (vf - vi)/a to solve for different variables.

5. How does displacement differ from distance in basic kinematics?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in basic kinematics. Distance is a scalar quantity that measures the length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position from the starting point to the ending point of an object's motion.