1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic kinematics motion

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm an undergraduate commencing my first year in Astrophysics and Mathematics.
    It's the summer break as of now and I'm doing some self-study on the relevant topics when school commences.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On packed snow, computerized antilock brakes can reduce a car's stopping distance by 55%. By what percentage is the stopping time reduced?

2. Relevant equations

none

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Consider the time-independent equation(as we call it) [itex] v_2^2-v_1^2=2A\Delta x [/itex].
    For the case of stopping motion,[itex] v_2=0 [/itex] and [itex] A<0 [/itex] so lets define [itex] a=|A| [/itex],so we have [itex] v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]. [itex] v_1 [/itex] can be taken to be the same in cases of having antilock brakes([itex] \Delta x^*,a^* [/itex]) and having ordinary brakes([itex] \Delta x,a [/itex]).So we have:[itex]
    \frac{\Delta x^*}{\Delta x}=\frac{a}{a^*}=0.55[/itex] which gives us [itex] a^*=\frac{a}{0.55} [/itex]
    Now consider the equation [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_1 t [/itex]. Lets say the decrease in time is equal to [itex] \Delta t [/itex] so we have [itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^* (t-\Delta t)^2+v_1(t-\Delta t) [/itex] and [itex] \Delta x=-\frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_1 t \Rightarrow v_1=\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}[/itex]

[itex] \Delta x^*=-\frac{1}{2}a^*(t-\Delta t)^2+\frac{\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2}{t}(t-\Delta t) \Rightarrow \frac{a^*t}{2}(t-\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x+\frac{1}{2}at^2)(t-\Delta t)+\Delta x^*t=0
    [/itex]
    Now we have an quadratic equation in [itex] t-\Delta t [/itex] which can be solved easily.Then you can divide the answer by t to get your answer.

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3

I want to get used to the notation first.

1) What does (Δx∗,a∗) implies?
    2) And if final velocity = 0, then why isn't there a negative in front of initial velocity?

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

1)stopping distance and acceleration when the car has antilock brakes.
    2)[itex]-v_1^2=2A\Delta x \Rightarrow -v_1^2=-2a\Delta x \Rightarrow v_1^2=2a\Delta x [/itex]
    I thought I made these points clear!

6. Dec 6, 2013 #5
    That explains. Sorry man, it helps if there's 2 para spacing in between each lines. But thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted