When will Mike hit the water when jumping off a diving board on the moon?

In summary, Mike jumps off a springy diving board located 10.0m above the surface of a swimming pool on the moon. He launches straight up at 15.0 m/s. (assume he misses the diving board on the way back down.) If gmoon is exactly one-sixth gearth, at what time does he hit the water? Homework Statement Mike jumps off a springy diving board located 10.0m above the surface of a swimming pool on the moon. He launches straight up at 15.0 m/s. (assume he misses the diving board on the way back down.) If gmoon is exactly one-sixth gearth, at what
gldnsrfbord
Hey there. I've got a physics problem that is troubling me. I feel like I should be able to do it, but i's been a while since I've done much physics and I could use some help.

Homework Statement

Mike jumps off a springy diving board located 10.0m above the surface of a swimming pool on the moon. He launches straight up at 15.0 m/s. (assume he misses the diving board on the way back down.) If gmoon is exactly one-sixth gearth, at what time does he hit the water?

Homework Equations

I used, x=x0+v0t+1/2at2, but my answers didn't work when I plugged them back in, I think my math may be way off or something.

The Attempt at a Solution

0=10+(15)t+(1/2)(-9.80/6)t2
0=10+15t-(9.80/12)t2
-10=t(15-(9.80/12)t)

t= -10, 30.61

It can't be -10, but when I plug both of them back into the original equation, it never works out.
Thanks in advance for any help!
-Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
gldnsrfbord said:
Hey there. I've got a physics problem that is troubling me. I feel like I should be able to do it, but i's been a while since I've done much physics and I could use some help.

Homework Statement

Mike jumps off a springy diving board located 10.0m above the surface of a swimming pool on the moon. He launches straight up at 15.0 m/s. (assume he misses the diving board on the way back down.) If gmoon is exactly one-sixth gearth, at what time does he hit the water?

Homework Equations

I used, x=x0+v0t+1/2at2, but my answers didn't work when I plugged them back in, I think my math may be way off or something.

0=10+15t-(9.80/12)t2
yes, solve for t using the quadratic formula solution t = -b +/ sq rt...etc.
-10=t(15-(9.80/12)t)

t= -10, 30.61
no, math is off.
It can't be -10, but when I plug both of them back into the original equation, it never works out.
-Tom
Your equation and signage and values are correct, but your algebra is off. Solve the quadtratic equation using the quadratic solution formula.

Last edited:
gldnsrfbord said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

0=10+15t-(9.80/12)t2
-10=t(15-(9.80/12)t)

t= -10, 30.61

-Tom

Your initial equation looks correct. Try solving it with the Quadratic Formula:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V8KsSIiGj...AAFIU/vNtErLdchMw/s1600/Quadratic+Formula.gif

Quadratic+Formula.gif

When ab = 0, then it is true that a = 0 or b = 0. But when ab = -10, it is not true that a = -10 or b = -10.

That logic can only be used when there is no constant factor. You need to complete the square or use the quadratic formula to find the values of t. The formula is much easier to understand and remember if you know how to complete the square.

Holy cow! We triple-teamed!

Thanks guys, I guys a couple years away from algebra lead to me completely forgetting how to do it!

I'm plugging (-15+sqroot(152+(98.0/3)))/(9.80/6) and getting ~0.644. Does that sound right? I'm really not too sure about that. And when I change the + to a - I get -19.011. Is there still something that I'm forgetting to do?

gldnsrfbord said:
Thanks guys, I guys a couple years away from algebra lead to me completely forgetting how to do it!

I'm plugging (-15+sqroot(152+(98.0/3)))/(9.80/6) and getting ~0.644. Does that sound right? I'm really not too sure about that. And when I change the + to a - I get -19.011. Is there still something that I'm forgetting to do?

Doesn't look quite right. First of all, there is no 2x in the denominator. And the 2nd term inside the radical doesn't look right either. I could just be having trouble reading the equation without Latex, though.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three basic types of kinematics?

The three basic types of kinematics are translational motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion.

What are the key concepts in solving basic kinematics problems?

The key concepts in solving basic kinematics problems are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These variables are related by the kinematic equations: displacement = initial velocity * time + 1/2 * acceleration * time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time, and displacement = average velocity * time.

How do I approach a basic kinematics problem?

The first step in solving a basic kinematics problem is to identify the type of motion and the variables given in the problem. Then, use the appropriate kinematic equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label the given and unknown variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic kinematics problems include using the wrong kinematic equation, forgetting to convert units, and not paying attention to the direction of motion. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information.