1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Kinematics Problem

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    1. A plane is aimed north and is travelling 851 km/h. A wind blows the plane from 40° S of E at 36 km/h. What is the plane’s resultant velocity?

2. I think the answer is 828.3 km/h at 88.1° East of North but I am not sure.

Ay= 851

Bx= cosθ
    cos40=x/36
    x=27.6

By=sinθ
    sin40=-y/36
    y=-23.1

Rx=27.7

Ry=851-23.1
    =827.9

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
    (27.6)^2 + (827.9)^2 = c^2
    c= 828.3

Using tan, θ=88.1

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2

How did you reach your answer? We can then see where you might have gone wrong.

4. May 8, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to your answer, a plane originally traveling north is blown so far off course by a modest SEasterly wind that it winds up traveling almost due east. Who needs hurricanes?

If the wind is coming from the SE and the plane is traveling north, is the plane experiencing a headwind or a tailwind?

In these problems, drawing a simple sketch helps to clarify the direction of the various vector components.

5. May 8, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

We cannot see inside your head. When you make up symbols for variables, unless the meanings are blindingly obvious, please state what they represent.

6. May 8, 2014 #5
    The numbers look good, but I do not believe that you have interpreted the location of theta properly. Are you certain that theta is made between the y-axis and the Resultant vector i.e. east of north?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted