1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Kinematics Question

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A speeder passes a hiding speed cop at 55m/s. The speed cop puts down his coffee and starts his engine (which takes 5 sec). He then accelerates from rest at 5m/s^2 until he catches the speeder.
    How far does the cop travel before he catches up and how fast is the cop going?

2. Relevant equations

V=x/t --> x=vt
    Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the final distances can be set to equal each other but I am confused on what to put for time. If i can solve for time, I can use the time multiplied by 55m/s to find how far they traveled. Also, if the cop takes 5 seconds to start moving, the speeder is already 275m away

Velocity of the cop
    Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ax
    Vf^2 = 0^2 + 2(5)(275-0)
    Vf = 52.44 m/s

Time of cop
    v=x/t
    52.44 = 275m / t
    t = 5.24 sec

Xspeeder=Xcop
    Vspeeder x Tspeeder = Vcop x Tcop
    55 m/s x Tspeeder + 275m = 52.44 m/s x 5.24 sec
    But when I solve for Tspeeder I get a negative number and time can't be negative.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The distance moved by the speeder in ( t + 5 ) seconds is equal to the distance traveled by cop in t seconds.
    Equate them and solve the quadratic to get the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook