1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic LCD Polarizer Viewing Angle

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    I'm in need of some help understanding the viewing angle of a basic LCD.

I am replicating a product that contains a backlit LCD from a similar product. The original product has an orange display that is clearly viewable at most angles. The similar product has a blue display that has poor visibility at certain angles.

There are two differences I can tell between the two LCDs. Obviously one is the color. The original has orange bulbs with a white diffuser. The similar product has white bulbs with a blue diffuser. The only other difference is that there is something visibly different about the polarizing films. The original has a matte antiglare property and the similar product is very glossy.

Can anyone help me improve the viewing angle of the similar product to that of the original? I have researched endlessly to find a solution. I have found compensation film (quarter wave plate film) which appears to not be produced any longer, I have also realized that a circular polarized film is just a linear polarizer on top of wave plate film. Lastly I had found some linear polarizing that claimed to have a wide viewing angle.

Am on the right track? I purchased some linear polarizing film with an antiglare and hardcoat to experiment with to see if I could improve the viewing angle. It did not help.

I will add some pictures shortly that illustrate the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook