1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Limit problem?

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    So, I've been mulling over this limit problem for far too long. I feel completely at a loss and refuse to accept my answer of "no limit" or "undefined" regarding the following:

The limit of (1- (x^.5))/(1+(x^.5)) as x approaches NEGATIVE infinity.

Someone care to elaborate on what is actually going on here? As I see it, even multiplying by the conjugate, I still end up with an x variable under a radical and so, the square root of any negative number is imaginary. Can such a number "approaching negative infinity" or "x" can also be a positive number, but moving in the negative direction? Being that as it may, I'm trying to keep the answer within the context of real numbers. So, what is the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't keep x^(0.5) for x negative in the context of the real numbers. Face it. Once you gotten over that, it certainly has a limit in the complex numbers, regardless of branch choice. The answer is -1.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?