1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic limit question

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit:

[itex]lim_{x -> \infty}[n*(x^{\frac{1}{n}}-1)-ln(x)][/itex], for any n.

2. Relevant equations
    L'Hopitals rule.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the ratio of the first expression over the last goes to zero, by L'Hopital, but unfortunately I now have a difference and not a quotient. Is it possible to transform it in some way to use L'Hopital?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

a-b = (ab-b^2)/b = (a/b - 1)/(1/b)
    Not sure if one of those helps.

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    [itex]lim_{x -> \infty}[n*(x^{\frac{1}{n}}-1)-ln(x)][/itex], for any n.

##y = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}(ln[e^{n*(x^{\frac{1}{n}}-1)}]-ln(x))##
    ##y = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\displaystyle ln\left[\frac{e^{n*(x^{\frac{1}{n}}-1)}}{x}\right]##
    ##e^y = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\displaystyle \left[\frac{e^{n*(x^{\frac{1}{n}}-1)}}{x}\right]##

That gives it in fraction form. I'm not sure if it makes it easier to evaluate or not, I haven't tried the problem myself.

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you apply l'Hopital's rule on that fraction, you end up with the same fraction again (plus some irrelevant part you can ignore).

6. Feb 27, 2014 #5
    You're right.

I believe factoring out ln(x) so you have ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty}\ln{(x)} \cdot \left(\frac{n(x^{1/n}-1)}{\ln{(x)}} - 1\right)## might work. You can use l'Hospital's on the inside fraction which works better than what I suggested above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted