Limit of x & c as x→a: Basic Results

• B
  • Thread starter opus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the basic limit results state that for any real number a and any constant c, the limit of x as it approaches a is a, and the limit of c as it approaches a is c. This can be seen as taking the limit of some function as the x values of that function approach the given x value, resulting in a corresponding y value if the limit exists. This can also be understood in terms of the usual definition of limits, without the need for a geometric interpretation.
opus
Gold Member
In my text, it states the Basic Limit Results as follows:

For any real number ##a##, and any constant ##c##,

(i) ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a}{x}=a##
(ii) ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a}{c}=c##

Now from the previous chapter, I am used to seeing these as taking the limit of some function as the x values of that function approach some x value (a). This will give some y value if a limit exists.

Now for (i), is this saying that we are taking the limit of some x value as our x values close in on some other x value (a), and the limit is the x value that we're closing in on (a)? I don't know what to make of all the x values and it seems quite confusing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The answer is yes, although I'm not sure whether it should be seen like this. I find it easiest just to consider the function ##x \longmapsto f(x)=y=x## resp. ##x \longmapsto f(x)=y=c\,.## This way you stay in the terms of functions without any "new" interpretation needed. In the first case you're approaching a point on a straight line, namely ##(x,y)=(a,a)##. In the second case you're sitting on the line ##y=c## and which ever point you approach, it will remain ##(x,y)=(*,c)##, e.g. ##(a,c)##. But you don't need this geometric view, you can as well operate with the usual definition ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = f(a)## and the functions I mentioned.

Likes opus
fresh_42 said:
The answer is yes, although I'm not sure whether it should be seen like this. I find it easiest just to consider the function ##x \longmapsto f(x)=y=x## resp. ##x \longmapsto f(x)=y=c\,.## This way you stay in the terms of functions without any "new" interpretation needed. In the first case you're approaching a point on a straight line, namely ##(x,y)=(a,a)##. In the second case you're sitting on the line ##y=c## and which ever point you approach, it will remain ##(x,y)=(*,c)##, e.g. ##(a,c)##. But you don't need this geometric view, you can as well operate with the usual definition ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = f(a)## and the functions I mentioned.

For (i), define ##f## by ##f(x) = x## on the appropriate domain.

Then ##\lim_{x \to a} x## is shorthand for ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x)##.

For (ii), similarly, ##\lim_{x \to a} c## is shorthand for ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x)## where ##g## is given by ##g(x) = c##.

Likes opus
fresh_42 said:
x⟼f(x)=y=xx \longmapsto f(x)=y=x resp. x⟼f(x)=y=c
Having a hard time deciphering this. Could you please explain?

fresh_42 said:
In the first case you're approaching a point on a straight line, namely (x,y)=(a,a)(x,y)=(a,a).
Does it have to be a straight line? In drawing it out, although I'm not sure if it's accurate, it looks like this is describing the line y=x. Is this true?

fresh_42 said:
In the second case you're sitting on the line y=cy=c and which ever point you approach, it will remain (x,y)=(∗,c)(x,y)=(*,c), e.g. (a,c)(a,c)

So just a horizontal line as to whatever x value we approach, it will approach the same y value?

opus said:
Having a hard time deciphering this. Could you please explain?
@Math_QED already did. I didn't know how you note a function:
  • ##x \longmapsto \ldots \text{ expression with x } \ldots##
  • ##y= \ldots \text{ expression with x } \ldots##
  • ##f(x) = \ldots \text{ expression with x } \ldots##
so I combined all of them: ##x \longmapsto f(x) = y = \ldots \text{ expression with x } \ldots##
Just it have to be a straight line? In drawing it out, although I'm not sure if it's accurate, it looks like this is describing the line y=x. Is this true?
Yes. O.k. straight line is doubled, so either straight or line, but that is only a matter of language, either will do.
So just a horizontal line as to whatever x value we approach, it will approach the same y value?
Yes.

These are the graphs of the functions as stated in @Math_QED 's and my post. It is the geometry behind. If you don't want to rely on graphs, which is often a good idea esp. if the functions are weird, then you can work with the analytic definition of limits as well.

Likes opus
Sometimes these get confusing because it takes me a long time to type out my responses and it throws the whole conversation of balance :DD
I think I got it now. Thank you guys.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input, or independent variable, approaches a certain value. It is often denoted by the notation "lim x→a f(x)", where f(x) is the function and a is the value the input is approaching.

2. How is a limit calculated?

A limit is calculated by evaluating the function at values of the input approaching the given value. This means plugging in values that are very close to the given value, both from the left and the right. If the function approaches the same value from both sides, then that value is the limit. If it approaches different values, the limit does not exist.

3. What is the relationship between a limit and a function's graph?

The limit of a function as x→a is the same as the y-value of the function at x=a, if the function is continuous at that point. This means that the graph of the function will have a smooth, unbroken line at that point. If the function is not continuous at x=a, then the limit may still exist but it will not be equal to the y-value of the function at that point.

4. What happens when the limit of a function does not exist?

If the limit of a function as x→a does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as its input approaches a. This could be due to a jump or a gap in the graph, an asymptote, or the function oscillating between different values as the input gets closer to a.

5. How can limits be used in real-world applications?

Limits are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of an object at a specific time, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and finding the rate of change of a quantity. They are also essential in calculus, as they are used to define derivatives and integrals.