Basic literature about diffusion in confined geometries

In summary, there are several resources available on diffusion in non-isotropic materials and confined geometry, including books by Shewmon, Mehrer, and Poirier and Geiger. These cover various aspects of diffusion and provide useful information for solving diffusion problems using FEM.
gjfelix2001
Hi everybody!

Currently I'm working on 3-dimensional diffusion models using finite element method (FEM). I am familiar with the basic diffusion theory; i mean constant diffusion coefficients, diffusion-reaction problems, numerical methods (from Crank-Nicolson to FEM), isotropic materials, etc. However, i want to consider non isotropic materials and a more realistic approach of the diffusion problem in confined geometry...

Does anybody knows the basic literature about this topic??

Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

I am also currently working with 3-dimensional diffusion models using FEM and have come across some useful literature on non-isotropic materials and confined geometry. Some key resources that I have found helpful are:

1. "Diffusion in Materials" by Paul Shewmon - This book provides a comprehensive overview of diffusion in materials, including non-isotropic materials and confined geometry. It also covers various numerical methods for solving diffusion problems.

2. "Diffusion in Solids" by Helmut Mehrer - Another great resource for understanding diffusion in non-isotropic materials, with a focus on diffusion in crystalline solids.

3. "Transport Phenomena in Materials Processing" by D. R. Poirier and G. H. Geiger - This book covers diffusion in confined geometry, as well as other transport phenomena in materials processing.

I hope these resources will be helpful for your research. Good luck!

1. What is diffusion in confined geometries?

Diffusion in confined geometries refers to the process by which molecules or particles move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration in a restricted or limited space. This can occur in various types of materials, such as porous media, thin films, or nanomaterials.

2. How is diffusion in confined geometries different from regular diffusion?

The main difference is that in confined geometries, the movement of particles is restricted by the physical boundaries of the system. This can lead to different diffusion behaviors, such as hindered diffusion or anomalous diffusion, compared to regular diffusion in open spaces.

3. What are the factors that affect diffusion in confined geometries?

The key factors that influence diffusion in confined geometries include the size and shape of the confined space, the type of material, the concentration and size of the diffusing particles, and the presence of any external forces or interactions.

4. What are some practical applications of diffusion in confined geometries?

Understanding diffusion in confined geometries has many important practical applications, such as in drug delivery systems, separation processes, and energy storage devices. It also plays a crucial role in biological processes, such as the movement of molecules within cells and tissues.

5. How is diffusion in confined geometries studied and measured?

There are various experimental techniques and theoretical models used to study and measure diffusion in confined geometries. Some commonly used methods include fluorescence microscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and Monte Carlo simulations.