Solving Basic Log Question: x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m

• Thread starter Bazman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the expression x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behaves differently depending on the value of y and the limit as x approaches either infinity or 0. When y<1 and x approaches infinity, the expression becomes indeterminate and requires the use of L'Hopital's rule. When y>0 and x approaches 0, the expression becomes 0.
Bazman
Hi,

I come from an engineering background and so have not studied analysis (sadly). I need to figure out the following.

How does:

1.) x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behave for any m given y<0 as x-> infinity

2.) x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behave for any m given y>0 as x-> 0

The way I see it in the first example as x-> infinity the |ln(1/x)|-> infinity
so effectively you have infinity^y*infinity^m and y is less than 1. So this should explode right?

However the answer is apparently that the expression->x?

In the second |ln(1/x)|-> infinity as x tends to 0. So effectivey you have
infinity^m*0=0.
However the answer is apparently that the expression ->1?

Can someone please explain where I am going wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can simplify this using [itex]|\log(1/x)| = |-\log x| = \log x[/itex].
Thus, [itex]x^y|\log(1/x)^m| = x^y(\log x)^m[/itex].

The following only works if m is positive. In both problems, [itex]x^y\to 0[/itex] and [itex](\log x)^m\to\infty[/itex] as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] (1) or [itex]x\to 0[/itex] (2). The product is indeterminate. Solving it calls for L'Hopital's rule.

Bazman said:
Hi,

I come from an engineering background and so have not studied analysis (sadly). I need to figure out the following.

How does:

1.) x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behave for any m given y<0 as x-> infinity

2.) x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behave for any m given y>0 as x-> 0

The way I see it in the first example as x-> infinity the |ln(1/x)|-> infinity
so effectively you have infinity^y*infinity^m and y is less than 1. So this should explode right?

However the answer is apparently that the expression->x?

In the second |ln(1/x)|-> infinity as x tends to 0. So effectivey you have
infinity^m*0=0.
However the answer is apparently that the expression ->1?

Can someone please explain where I am going wrong?

D H said:
You can simplify this using [itex]|\log(1/x)| = |-\log x| = \log x[/itex].
Thus, [itex]x^y|\log(1/x)^m| = x^y(\log x)^m[/itex].

The following only works if m is positive. In both problems, [itex]x^y\to 0[/itex] and [itex](\log x)^m\to\infty[/itex] as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] (1) or [itex]x\to 0[/itex] (2). The product is indeterminate. Solving it calls for L'Hopital's rule.

Sorry problem 1 above should read

1.) x^y*|ln(1/x)|^m behave for any m given y<1 as x-> infinity

but I don;t think that changes the nature of your argument.

In any case thanks will look into L'hopital's rule

1. What is the basic concept behind solving logarithmic equations?

The basic concept behind solving logarithmic equations is that logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions. This means that if we have an equation in the form of y = logb(x), we can rewrite it as x = by. This allows us to solve for the variable in the exponent, which is often the desired outcome in logarithmic equations.

2. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms, denoted as ln(x), have a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. Common logarithms, denoted as log(x) or simply log, have a base of 10. This means that ln(x) measures the power to which e must be raised to equal x, while log(x) measures the power to which 10 must be raised to equal x.

3. How can we solve a logarithmic equation with multiple logarithms?

If the equation has multiple logarithms with the same base, we can combine them using the properties of logarithms. For example, logb(x) + logb(y) = logb(xy). If the equation has multiple logarithms with different bases, we can use the change of base formula to rewrite them with a common base and then solve the resulting equation.

4. What are the steps for solving an equation with logarithms and exponential functions?

The steps for solving an equation with logarithms and exponential functions are as follows:
1. Rewrite the equation in the form of y = logb(x) or x = by.
2. Use algebraic methods to isolate the logarithm or exponential expression.
3. Take the inverse of the logarithm or exponential function on both sides of the equation.
4. Solve for the variable.
5. Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. How does the absolute value of the natural logarithm affect solving logarithmic equations?

The absolute value of the natural logarithm, denoted as |ln(x)|, can affect solving logarithmic equations in two ways. First, it can result in multiple solutions, as the natural logarithm of a negative number does not exist. Second, it can affect the domain of the solution, as the natural logarithm of 0 is undefined. Therefore, when solving logarithmic equations with absolute values, it is important to consider these factors and check for extraneous solutions.