Solving Logarithm Ques: Multiplying 9356 by 0.396

• Thread starter rajatgl16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the student had trouble with a problem asking for 9356*0.396, and ended up getting 3705 as their answer.
rajatgl16
I'm very new to logarithm.
I've got homework to solve a ques using logarithm i.e multipication of 9356 by 0.396. And I've done it in following manner

9356*0.396
=log 9356 + log 0.396
=3.9711-1.4023
=2.5688

I know I've done it in a wrong manner as the ans is wrong. I'm very new to it. I just know how to see logarithmic table and know basic formulae only. I just want to know the procedure to do such questions

Physics news on Phys.org
rajatgl16 said:
I'm very new to logarithm.
I've got homework to solve a ques using logarithm i.e multipication of 9356 by 0.396. And I've done it in following manner

9356*0.396
=log 9356 + log 0.396
=3.9711-1.4023
=2.5688
It should be obvious that you've done something wrong, since you have 9356 * .396 being equal to 2.5688.

What you're really doing, but not showing, is taking the log of 9356 * .396.

There's another error -- log(.396) is not -1.4023.
rajatgl16 said:
I know I've done it in a wrong manner as the ans is wrong. I'm very new to it. I just know how to see logarithmic table and know basic formulae only. I just want to know the procedure to do such questions

Then what to do sir, this is my first ques of such a kind.
I've to calculate using logarithm. Please tell me the first step, rest of all i think i'll do myself.
Should I've to do log9356*log0.396?

Hey this time i got right answer.
I do it in this way
I assume ans to b x then,
Log(9356*0.396)=log x
3.5688=log x
x=antilog 3.5688= 3705
And i thnk this is right

You should have
log(9356*0.396)
= log 9356 + log 0.396
Now continue from there.

When you're done, you will have a number that is the logarithm of (9356*0.396).

Presumably the problem wants you to find 9356*0.396, which is easy enough to do using multiplication (by hand or using a calculator), but more difficult if you have to use logs to get it.

Let's call your answer L, where L = log(9356*0.396). To find (9356*0.396), exponentiate each side.
L = log(9356*0.396)
<==> 10L = 10log(9356*0.396)

Hopefully, you know enough about the properties of logs to be able to simplify the right side.

Are they still teaching the use of logarithms for problems like that? With calculators as common as they are now, I would think using logarithms for multiplications and divisions would be outmoded.

(I am reminded of a science fiction story, I think by Isaac Asimov, taking place hundreds of years in the future, in which an engineer whips out his slide rule!)

HallsofIvy said:
Are they still teaching the use of logarithms for problems like that? With calculators as common as they are now, I would think using logarithms for multiplications and divisions would be outmoded.
Not in electronics. Logarithms are still used extensively in electronics as dB. I use them nearly every day.

HallsofIvy said:
(I am reminded of a science fiction story, I think by Isaac Asimov, taking place hundreds of years in the future, in which an engineer whips out his slide rule!)
A good example of doing multiplication and division by adding and subtracting logarithms.

1. What is the rule for multiplying a number by a logarithm?

The rule for multiplying a number by a logarithm is to first convert the logarithm to its corresponding exponential form. Then, use the exponent as the power to raise the number to. For example, in the equation 9356 x log100.396, the logarithm is converted to its exponential form as 10-0.4017. Then, the number 9356 is raised to the power of -0.4017, resulting in an answer of 3728.641.

2. How do I solve for the answer using a calculator?

To solve for the answer using a calculator, you can use the "log" or "ln" function, depending on the base of the logarithm. In this case, since the base is 10, you would use the "log" function. First, enter the number 9356, then press the "x" button, followed by the "log" button. Next, enter the base of the logarithm, which is 0.396, and press the "=" button. The calculator should display the answer of 3728.641.

3. Can I use a different base for the logarithm?

Yes, you can use a different base for the logarithm. However, in order to solve the equation using a calculator, you would need to use the change of base formula. This formula states that logba = logca / logcb, where b is the base you want to convert to, a is the number, and c is any other base. Using this formula, you can convert the logarithm with any base to a logarithm with base 10 or base e, which are the bases typically available on calculators.

4. Can I use the product rule for logarithms in this equation?

Yes, you can use the product rule for logarithms in this equation. The product rule states that logb(xy) = logbx + logby. In this case, you can rewrite the equation as log10(9356 x 0.396) = log109356 + log100.396. Using the calculator, you can solve for each logarithm separately and then add the answers together to get the final answer of 3728.641.

5. Can I use the power rule for logarithms in this equation?

No, you cannot use the power rule for logarithms in this equation. The power rule states that logb(xn) = nlogbx. However, in this case, the logarithm is not being raised to a power, it is being multiplied by a number. The power rule can only be used when the logarithm is being raised to a power.