Mastering Basic Symbolic Logic: Understanding Negations Intuitively

• Thread starter TrevE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of negations in basic symbolic logic and how to work with them intuitively. It is explained that when dealing with logical statements, if it is not the case that two things are both true, then at least one of the things must be false. The negation of an exclusive or statement is also explained, and it is noted that it is equivalent to the statement being true. The conversation ends with a question about the relationship between negated statements and original statements.
TrevE
Basic symbolic logic, as it stands, is very straightforward to me, but I don't seem to understand it verbosely, i.e. without constructing truth tables. Actually it's only the negation of statements that I don't seem to grasp intuitively.

For instance, the negation of

John is fat and John is blonde

is simply

John is not fat or John is not blonde

but I don't get why it is so, without truth tables. How can I go around with working with negations intuitively? Should I just find out what negates to what and keep that in mind when working with statements?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it is not true that John is both fat and blonde, that's the same thing as saying that he's not fat or not blonde. For example if John is thin and blonde, then he's not fat and blonde. If he's fat and black-haired, then he's not fat and blonde. If he's thin and black haired, then he's not fat and blonde. If it is not the case that two things are both true, then at least one of the things must be false (when dealing with logical statements).

Thank you for presenting it clearly; I think I get the gist of it now. Cheers!

OK one last thing. I think I'm running into trouble with negating exclusive or statements. So let's say John is fat or John is blonde, but not both. I don't see how I can negate "not both" because after which it looks like "not both" is insignificant in negation. Say we do away with "but not both" and it becomes inclusive, then it follows that the negation is "John is not fat and blonde", and that's what I sort of came up with with exclusive or, which leads me to asking, are negated statements and original statements converses to each other, or is that not necessarily a requirement? Or did I just negate the above exclusive or statement wrongly?

Thanks in advance.

not(a xor b) is just a = b in a logical sense. Exclusive or is true iff the two are different, so its negation is true iff they are the same.

[tex]\overline{a\oplus b}\Longleftrightarrow a=b[/tex]

"not (John is fat or John is blonde, but not both)" <--> "(John is fat and blonde) or (John is neither fat nor blonde)"

Last edited:
How logical.Heh, many thanks, CRG!

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a formal system of reasoning that uses symbols to represent logical relationships between statements. It is a way of analyzing arguments and determining their validity.

2. Why is mastering basic symbolic logic important?

Mastering basic symbolic logic is important because it helps improve critical thinking skills and the ability to construct and evaluate logical arguments. It is also a fundamental tool in many fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

3. What are negations in symbolic logic?

Negations in symbolic logic are logical operations that express the opposite of a given statement. They are represented by the symbol "~" or "¬" and are used to form new statements from existing ones.

4. How can I understand negations intuitively?

Negations can be understood intuitively by thinking about them as the opposite or contradictory of a given statement. For example, if a statement is true, its negation is false, and vice versa. It can also be helpful to think about negations in terms of everyday language, such as "not" or "it is not the case that."

5. How can I improve my skills in mastering basic symbolic logic?

To improve your skills in mastering basic symbolic logic, it is important to practice regularly and work through various examples and exercises. You can also study and familiarize yourself with the rules and principles of symbolic logic, and seek out additional resources or courses to deepen your understanding.