The Transformation from S to S''Relative Speed Between Frames S and S

In summary, the problem involves finding the transformation from frame S to frame S' moving at +0.5 c in the x direction, and then to another frame S'' moving at +0.5 c in the x direction relative to S'. The answer involves using the Lorentz transformation matrix, which is closed under multiplication. The relative speed between frames S and S'' is 0.8 c, which is different from the Galilean addition of velocities. This is due to the relativistic addition of velocities, which will be covered in the next section of the book. The original answer of 0.8 c is correct.
Domnu
Problem
Write down the transformation from a frame S to a frame S' moving at +0.5 c in the x direction and then to another frame S'' moving at +0.5 c in the x direction relative to S'. What is the complete transformation from S to S''? What relative speed between frames S and S'' does your answer imply?

Answer?
Well, the Lorentz transformation matrix is just

[tex]
\hat{L}=

\begin{pmatrix}
\gamma & -\gamma\beta & 0 & 0\\
-\gamma\beta & \gamma & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
\end{\pmatrix}
[/tex]

Now, it happens that Lorentz matrices are closed under multiplication (ie [tex]\hat{L} \cdot \hat{L} = \hat{L_1}[/tex]). If we let

[tex]
\hat{L_1} =

\begin{pmatrix}
G & -GB & 0 & 0\\
-GB & G & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

we find that [tex]B = 2\beta/(1+\beta^2)[/tex], [tex]G = (1+\beta^2)\gamma^2[/tex]. Now, since [tex]\beta = 0.5[/tex], we have that [tex]B = 0.8[/tex], so the relative speed between S and S'' would be [tex]0.8 c[/tex]. I'm a bit confused here... why wouldn't the answer just be [tex]0.5c + 0.5c = c[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Domnu said:
I'm a bit confused here... why wouldn't the answer just be [tex]0.5c + 0.5c = c[/tex]?
That's how velocities add under Galilean transformations, not Lorentz transformations. Review the relativistic addition of velocities. (What if the speeds were 0.6c instead of 0.5c? Would you expect the total speed to be greater than c?)

Hmm okay, I haven't learned this yet. That's the next section in my book, heheh... but is my original answer of 0.8c correct?

Domnu said:
but is my original answer of 0.8c correct?
Absolutely. :smile:

What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical model developed by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century to explain the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of relativity. It is used to describe how measurements of space and time change when viewed from different reference frames.

What are the basic equations for the Lorentz Transformation?

The basic equations for the Lorentz Transformation are:

x' = γ(x - vt)
y' = y
z' = z
t' = γ(t - vx/c^2)

where γ = 1/√(1 - v^2/c^2) and v is the relative velocity between the two reference frames.

What is the significance of the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is significant because it explains how measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's reference frame. It also forms the basis of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe.

How does the Lorentz Transformation affect our understanding of time and space?

The Lorentz Transformation shows that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's reference frame. This means that different observers moving at different velocities will measure different distances and durations of events, leading to the concept of time dilation and length contraction.

How is the Lorentz Transformation used in practical applications?

The Lorentz Transformation is used in many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, particle accelerators, and satellite communication. It is also crucial in the development of modern physics theories, including quantum mechanics and general relativity.