1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic mass and density problem

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    This is one of my homework problems for my mechanical engineering class. The problem is extremely simple, but, the homework is graded in this class and I want a good grade :). I should be able to do this no problem but I am getting confused by what some of the reading in my book is telling me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As shown in given figure, a cylinder of compacted scrap metal measuring 2m in length and 0.5m in diameter is suspended from a spring scale at a location where the acceleration of gravity is 9.78 m/s2. If the scrap metal density in kg/m3, varies with position z, in m, according to p = 7800-360(z/L)2, determine the reading of the scale in Newtons.

Cylinder diameter=.5m
    Cylinder height=2m
    G=9.78m/s2
    http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3094/0903091713.jpg [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations
    F=mg
    Volume of Cylinder= 3.14r2*H
    Density=M/V
    Density of cylinder=7800-360(z/L)2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already found the volume which is .3925m3. What I would normally do is solve for mass using the d=m/v equation. But my book says mass=[tex]\int[/tex](p)dV. It also says that "density, p, at a point is defined as, p = lim(from v to v')m/V". I have taken physics and lots of math but using limits and integrals for finding masses and densities is throwing me off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    The problem is that the density is not constant. Therefore, you would be well-advised to do the triple integral.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Hmm it makes sense that the density is not constant. But I dont understand how I am supposed to solve that integral.
    If mass=[tex]\int[/tex](p)dV, and p = 7800-360(z/L)2, "z" can be any number between 0 and 2. Also the integration is with respect to V, which is not in the given density formula. Thanks for the reply.

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
    Hint: Since density only varies along the length of the cylinder (and not in any other directions) you can reduce the triple integral mentioned earlier to a single integral.

If the mass is cylindrical, then what is the formula for its volume?

Also, how does z relate to the variables used in determining the volume of the cylinder?

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another hint:

What is the mass of a slab of thickness dz? Assume the density does not vary significantly within the slab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook