Simplifying Fractions and Multiplying Basics - Tips for Easy Math Solutions

• Thread starter Sanyo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying fractions and factoring polynomials. The conversation includes tips on how to simplify fractions and factor polynomials, as well as a discussion on the importance of factoring carefully. The conversation also includes an apology for a potential offense caused by a misunderstanding.
Sanyo
Hello! I have a major final on Friday and I need to figure out how to do these problems. For the life of me I canot figure out how to simplify those fractions. And to multiple, I was under the impression you factor out first and then cross out. But everything comes out positive?

For the multiplication, it should be x2+12x+35, not 25. sorry

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• math.GIF
    math.GIF
    4 KB · Views: 541
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's take the first:
[tex]\frac{3x^{2}-27}{18-6x}[/tex]
It is smart to focus on the numerator and denominator separately:
FIRST SIMPLIFICATION:
Numerator: [tex]3x^{2}-27[/tex]
Note that 3 is common factor, since 27=3*9.
Therefore, you can write:
[tex]3x^{2}-27=3*(x^{2}-9)[/tex]
Denominator: [tex]18-6x[/tex]
Here, 6 is a common factor, since 18=6*3
Thus, you can write: [tex]18-6x=6*(3-x)[/tex]

Therefore, we have:
[tex]\frac{3x^{2}-27}{18-6x}=\frac{3*(x^{2}-9)}{6*(3-x)}[/tex]
But, now we can see that because 6=3*2, we have:
[tex]\frac{3*(x^{2}-9)}{6*(3-x)}=\frac{3*(x^{2}-9)}{3*2*(3-x)}=\frac{(x^{2}-9)}{2*(3-x)}[/tex]
We have managed a simplification!

SECOND SIMPLIFICATION:
Numerator:
If you are perceptive, you see that we have: [tex]x^{2}-9=(x+3)*(x-3)[/tex]
Let us write this a bit differently, by extracting a minus sign from the last parenthesis:
[tex]x^{2}-9=(x+3)*(x-3)=-(x+3)*(3-x)[/tex]
But now, we have:
[tex]\frac{(x^{2}-9)}{2*(3-x)}=\frac{-(x+3)*(3-x)}{2*(3-x)}=-\frac{(x+3)}{2}[/tex]
since the factor (3-x) occurs in both numerator and denominator.
Got that?

Can u factor them...?All of them can be factored & easily simplified.Take the first.What can u do to it...?

Daniel.

In all those problems the idea is to factorize.
Some useful identities will help you spot how to factor certain polynomials immediately:

[tex](a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2[/tex]
[tex](a-b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2[/tex]
[tex](a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2[/tex]

Identifying the right side will help you factor it as the left side. eg: [itex]x^2-9=x^2-3^2=(x+3)(x-3)[/itex].

Also, be careful when simplifying as follows:

[tex]\frac{x^2-25}{x-5}=\frac{(x+5)(x-5)}{x-5}=x+5[/tex]

In the last step I divided top and bottom by x-5, which is not allowed when x=5. So the last step is wrong. Be sure to add [itex]x\not=5[/itex] or don't simplify further.

Last edited:
I would rather say that x isn't allowed to be 5 in the first place..
In my case, Galileo's argument requires that x must be different from 3.

Thanks! That was stupid, all I had to do was factor out.

But for the multiplication, I'm still unsure.

wouldn't x2+12x+35 = (x+7)(x+5) ?

and x2+10x+25 = (x+5)(x+5)

and for x2+7x+10 = (x+5)(x+2)

and for x2+9x+14= (x+7)(x+2)

[tex]\frac{x^2 + 12x + 25}{x^2 + 10x + 25} \times \frac{x^2 + 7x + 10}{x ^2 + 9x + 14} =[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x^4 + 7x^3 + 10x^2 + 12x^3 + 84x^2 + 120x + 25x^2 + 175x + 250}{x^4 + 9x^3 + 14x^2 + 10x^3 + 90x^2 + 140x + 25x^2 + 225x + 350}[/tex] etc. is one way or you can factorise.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Sure, your factoring looks okay to me.

The Bob said:
[tex]\frac{x^2 + 12x + 25}{x^2 + 10x + 25} \times \frac{x^2 + 7x + 10}{x ^2 + 9x + 14} =[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x^4 + 7x^3 + 10x^2 + 12x^3 84x^2 + 120x + 25x^2 + 175x + 250}{x^4 + 9x^3 + 14x^2 + 10x^3 + 90x^2 + 140x + 25x^2 + 225x + 350}[/tex] etc.

The Bob (2004 ©)
You have a delightfully original conception of SIMPLIFICATION, THe Bob!

arildno said:
You have a delightfully original conception of SIMPLIFICATION, THe Bob!
The original question says multiply. Not a word about simplification.

arildno said:
Sure, your factoring looks okay to me.
It might be ok but if you see the original question the first:

Sanyo said:
x^2+12x+35 = (x+7)(x+5)

should be x^2 + 12x + 25, hence, the longer way of doing it.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Should be:

[tex]\frac{x^2 + 12x + 35}{x^2 + 10x + 25} \times \frac{x^2 + 7x + 10}{x ^2 + 9x + 14} [/tex]

and then I thought it was:

[tex]\frac{(x+7)(x+5)}{(x+5)(x+5)} \times \frac{(x+5)(x+2)}{(x+7)(x+2)}[/tex]

Would they all cancel out making it 1?

That seems correct.

Sanyo said:
Should be:

[tex]\frac{x^2 + 12x + 35}{x^2 + 10x + 25} \times \frac{x^2 + 7x + 10}{x ^2 + 9x + 14} [/tex]

and then I thought it was:

[tex]\frac{(x+7)(x+5)}{(x+5)(x+5)} \times \frac{(x+5)(x+2)}{(x+7)(x+2)}[/tex]

Would they all cancel out making it 1?

Exactly! Well done. :smile:

EDIT: Follow Galileo's advice and write that x cannot equal -5,-7 or -2.

Last edited:
Sanyo said:
Should be:

Now that this information has come out, I would like to apologise to arildno for an offence I may have caused. With the information given I did not see a simpler way without the quadratic equation. Please accept my apologise. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Now that this information has come out, I would like to apologise to arildno for an offence I may have caused. With the information given I did not see a simpler way without the quadratic equation. Please accept my apologise. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
None needed; I was able to sleep unperturbed last night, and that's the important thing, isn't it? :wink:

arildno said:
None needed; I was able to sleep unperturbed last night, and that's the important thing, isn't it? :wink:
:rofl: Yeap. It is. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

What is basic math and why is it important?

Basic math refers to the fundamental principles and operations of mathematics, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is important because it forms the basis for more advanced mathematical concepts and is necessary for everyday tasks like budgeting, calculating measurements, and problem-solving.

Why do some people struggle with basic math?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may struggle with basic math. It could be due to a lack of exposure or understanding in their early education, a learning disability, or simply not finding it interesting or engaging. It is important to identify the root cause of the struggle and seek support or practice in order to improve.

How can I improve my basic math skills?

Practicing regularly is the key to improving any skill, including basic math. Start with the fundamentals and gradually build upon them. There are also many resources available, such as online tutorials, practice worksheets, and educational games, that can help you improve your skills.

Is it normal to feel dumb when it comes to basic math?

Yes, it is normal to feel this way. Many people struggle with math, and it can be frustrating and intimidating. However, with determination and practice, anyone can improve their skills and feel more confident in their abilities.

What are some tips for learning and understanding basic math?

Some tips for learning and understanding basic math include breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids or real-life examples, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher, tutor, or peer who can provide support and clarification. Remember to be patient and give yourself time to learn and understand the concepts.