1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Math Notation

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    When you start a new line in solving an equation (or any math problem), is there a symbol you should start of with? I usually use an equal or therefore sign but sometimes it doesn't seem appropriate and I just end up using a little arrow

Say I had to rearrange this equation (ab)/2 = c to make a the subject , what would I write in front of the first and subsequent lines of working? Just leave it blank?

e.g.
    (ab)/2 = c
    <--- what goes here? (ab) = 2c..etc.
    etc..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

You can use ∴ (which means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therefore_sign" [Broken]) but personally I wouldn't bother. Remember you get marks for your working, clarity and expression, not typography quirks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

why would you need to have ANYTHING go there? Your second line of "(ab) = 2c" does not need anything in front of it, nor do subsequent lines.

I suppose when you get to the final line you could preceded it with the "therefore" dots, but as pwsnafu said, I don't think most people bother.

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4
    Thank you

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Actually, I'm used to the symbol [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] to show how one equation follows from a previous one (as opposed to [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] which indicate a logical implication within a statement).
    This helps distinguishing it from when you start new lines of reasoning.

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6
    When you start writing a new line in a paragraph (not because your sentence didn't fit on the previous line, but because you're beginning a new phrase), you don't do anything but indent, right? This just makes reading easier on the eye. I actually indent very slightly when going from a paragraph to a series of implications, equalities, etc.

8. Aug 2, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I always use [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] in such contexts.

I think it is better to use a symbol. Writing nothing in front of it can cause the text to be hard to read...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook