Finding k for Continuous Function on Any Interval

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value for k that would make a given function continuous on any interval, with a specific example of finding k for a piecewise function. The answer for the first function is 10, while the answer for the second function is 20. The process for finding the value involves making sure the function is continuous at the given point and solving for k.
Tom McCurdy
Alright this is confusing me a bit...

Find k so that the following function is continuous on any interval?
[tex] f(x)=kx [/tex] if [tex]0 \leq x \leq 2 [/tex] and [tex]f(x)=5x^2 [/tex] if [tex] 2\leq x [/tex]

Alright I know the answer is 10, but I don't understand how you get there

I mean I just doubled 5, because I took it off an example in the book that had answer

but i would like be able to do eveutnally do

If possible choose k so that the following function is continusous on any function

[tex]f(z) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}
\frac{5x^3-10x^2}{x-2} & \mbox{ }
& x\neq2 \\
k & \mbox{ } & x=2
\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
Alright this is confusing me a bit...

Find k so that the following function is continuous on any interval?
[tex] f(x)=kx [/tex] if [tex]0 \leq x \leq 2 [/tex] and [tex]f(x)=5x^2 [/tex] if [tex] 2\leq x [/tex]
You want the function to be continuous at x=2. Therefore, k*2 = 5*2^2. Solve for k

So would tthe answer to the second one be false

?

Tom McCurdy said:
So would tthe answer to the second one be false

?

No the answer is true if you make k=20.

You see, you can factor out 5x^2 from the top, and then the (x-2) will cancel. If you then sub in x=2 you get 20. Thus if you make k=20, the function becomes continous.

What is the definition of "k" in a continuous function?

The value of "k" in a continuous function represents the slope of the function at any given point. It is also known as the derivative of the function.

Why is finding the value of "k" important in a continuous function?

Finding the value of "k" allows us to calculate the rate of change of the function at any point, which can be useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the behavior of the function.

How do you find the value of "k" for a continuous function on any interval?

The value of "k" can be found by taking the derivative of the function and evaluating it at the desired point or interval. This can be done using various techniques such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

What is the relationship between the value of "k" and the shape of a continuous function?

The value of "k" determines the steepness or flatness of the function at any given point. A larger value of "k" results in a steeper slope, while a smaller value of "k" results in a flatter slope. The sign of "k" also indicates whether the function is increasing or decreasing at that point.

Can the value of "k" change on a continuous function?

Yes, the value of "k" can change at different points on a continuous function, as the slope of the function can vary. This is known as the changing rate of change of the function.