Solving Basic Math Problems in Mathematica

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter sharp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble using Mathematica to solve basic problems for their Finance Math class. They mention three problems they were trying to solve and express a desire to start learning Mathematica. Another person suggests using the Help Browser and provides an example of how to solve an equation. The conversation ends with the solution to the original problem being provided and a reminder to use the Help Browser.
sharp
Hey guys I'm trying to learn to use mathematica and can't get even the most simple stuff to run.

Today I was trying to use it to solve some very simple problems for my Finance Math class but all I got were errors.

These are some of the problems I was trying:
a) (1.036)^n = 2.154
b) 5225(1.0255)^-n = 3750
c) [525(1.048)^n -1] / (1.048)^1/4 -1 = 3125

It's not hard stuff just some super basic review of exponents questions we had on the first day. What I really want is to start learning mathematica and this is a start.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica has a pretty good Help Browser. Why not use it? Anyway, this is how you solve an equation (I'll use x^2=1 as an example):

Solve[x^2==1,x]

Notice the double equal sign.

In Math'ca for Windows version 5.x,

Solve[(1.036)^n == 2.154]

followed by Num pad Enter ("gray" Enter) or Shift-Keyboard Enter

produces

{{n -> 21.696}}

P.S. It also produces the warning
Solve::ifun: Inverse functions are being used by Solve, so some solutions may not be found; use Reduce for complete solution information.

P.P.S. NSolve[(1.036)^n == 2.154] produces exactly the same result (and warning).

Last edited:
Thanks guys that's just what I needed. I do try to use the help in Mathematica but I rarely find what I'm looking for.

1. How can I input and solve basic math problems in Mathematica?

To input and solve basic math problems in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function Solve. This function takes in an equation or system of equations and finds the values of the variables that satisfy the equations.

2. Can I solve equations with multiple variables in Mathematica?

Yes, you can solve equations with multiple variables in Mathematica. Simply input the equations as a system of equations using the Solve function and specify the variables you want to solve for.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct in Mathematica?

You can check the correctness of your solution in Mathematica by substituting the values of the variables into the original equations and verifying that they satisfy the equations. You can also use the Check function to compare your solution to the expected result.

4. Can I plot the solution to a math problem in Mathematica?

Yes, you can plot the solution to a math problem in Mathematica using the Plot function. This function allows you to visualize the solution as a graph, which can be helpful in understanding the behavior of the variables.

5. Are there any other helpful functions for solving basic math problems in Mathematica?

Yes, there are several other helpful functions for solving basic math problems in Mathematica, such as SolveAlways, which finds the general solution to an equation, and Reduce, which simplifies equations and systems of equations. You can also use the DSolve function for solving differential equations and the Integrate function for solving integrals.