1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Mathematica Help

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    Hey guys I'm trying to learn to use mathematica and can't get even the most simple stuff to run.

Today I was trying to use it to solve some very simple problems for my Finance Math class but all I got were errors.

These are some of the problems I was trying:
    a) (1.036)^n = 2.154
    b) 5225(1.0255)^-n = 3750
    c) [525(1.048)^n -1] / (1.048)^1/4 -1 = 3125

It's not hard stuff just some super basic review of exponents questions we had on the first day. What I really want is to start learning mathematica and this is a start.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2
    Mathematica has a pretty good Help Browser. Why not use it? Anyway, this is how you solve an equation (I'll use x^2=1 as an example):

Solve[x^2==1,x]

Notice the double equal sign.

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Math'ca for Windows version 5.x,

Solve[(1.036)^n == 2.154]

followed by Num pad Enter ("gray" Enter) or Shift-Keyboard Enter

produces

{{n -> 21.696}}

P.S. It also produces the warning
    P.P.S. NSolve[(1.036)^n == 2.154] produces exactly the same result (and warning).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    Thanks guys that's just what I needed. I do try to use the help in Mathematica but I rarely find what I'm looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?