Basic matrices

for fixed ## m \geq 2 ## let ## \epsilon (i,j) ## denote the mxm matrix ## \epsilon (i,j)_{rs} = \delta _{ir} \delta _{js} ##

when m = 2000 show by formal calculations that

i) ## \epsilon (500,199) \epsilon (1999,10) = \epsilon (500,10) ##

ii) ## \epsilon (1999,10) \epsilon (500,1999) = 0##

hence generalise for ##\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l)## and find a single equation using the kroneeker delta symbol for the generalisation

my attempt thus far:

i) rewriting this as ##\delta _{500r} \delta _{1999s} \delta _{1999r} \delta _{10s} ## then we note that ## \delta _{1999s} \delta _{1999r} = \epsilon (1999,1999) ## which gives a 0 everywhere except the 1999th ith position and 1999th jth position but I'm not sure how I can conclude that this gives ##\epsilon (500,10)##

that's all Ihave so far unfortunately

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi converting1! :smile:
i) rewriting this as ##\delta _{500r} \delta _{1999s} \delta _{1999r} \delta _{10s} ## …

nooo …

##(\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l))_{r,s} = (\epsilon (i,j))_{r,t} (\epsilon (k,l))_{t,s}## :wink:

nooo …

##(\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l))_{r,s} = (\epsilon (i,j))_{r,t} (\epsilon (k,l))_{t,s}## :wink:

oh damn im so stupid, so here is what I got so far let me know if my logic is flawed:

i) ## (\epsilon (500,1999))_{r,t} (\epsilon (1999,10))_{t,s} = \delta _{500r} \delta _{1999t} \delta _{1999t} \delta _{10s} ##

we know that ##\delta _{1999t} \delta _{1999t} = 1 ## if t = 1999, else it will be 0, so we get the required result

for ii) ## (\epsilon (1999,10))_{r,t} (\epsilon (500,1999))_{t,s} = \delta _{1999r} \delta _{10t} \delta _{500t} \delta _{1999s} ## we now see that ## \delta _{10t} \delta _{500t} = 0 ## as if t = 10, then ## \delta _{500t} = 0 ## and if t = 500 then ## \delta _{10t} = 0 ## hence we will get 0 always, the desired result

now generalising,

consider ## (\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l))_{rs} = (\epsilon (i,j))_{r,t} (\epsilon (k,l))_{t,s} = \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} \delta _{ls} ##

## \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} = 1 ## if j = k, else it's 0, hence we get ## \delta _{ir} \delta _{ls}## if j = k, i.e. we get ## \epsilon (i,l) ## if j = k, else we get 0.

now for the final part I am not sure how to express it as a single equation, could you give me a little hint?

Last edited:
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
we know that ##\delta _{1999t} \delta _{1999t} = 1 ## if t = 1999, else it will be 0, so we get the required result

ah, you're still not thinking in terms of the summation convention:

##\delta _{1999t} \delta _{1999t} = 1 ## :wink:

similary ##\delta _{10t} \delta _{500t} = 0 ##​

once you've convinced yourself of this, you should be able to do the general case :smile:

ah, you're still not thinking in terms of the summation convention:

##\delta _{1999t} \delta _{1999t} = 1 ## :wink:

similary ##\delta _{10t} \delta _{500t} = 0 ##​

once you've convinced yourself of this, you should be able to do the general case :smile:

hmm, I'm not so sure I understand, what if t = 20? i.e. ##\delta _{1999,20} \delta _{1999,20} = 0.0 = 0 ? ##

also take a 2x2 matrix as an example, ## \epsilon (1,2) _{22} = \delta _{12} \delta_{22} = 0 \times 1 = 0 ##

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hmm, I'm not so sure I understand, what if t = 20? i.e. ##\delta _{1999,20} \delta _{1999,20} = 0.0 = 0 ? ##

ah, that's right, you don't understand …

you can't substitute one value for t into δ1999,tδ1999,t

the einstein summation convention means that that's a ∑ …

(over all values of t) δ1999,tδ1999,t :wink:

ah, that's right, you don't understand …

you can't substitute one value for t into δ1999,tδ1999,t

the einstein summation convention means that that's a ∑ …

(over all values of t) δ1999,tδ1999,t :wink:
really? our lecturer defined ## \epsilon (i,j) _{r,s} = 1 ## if r = i and j = s , else it is 0, so I am just using that definition

so how do you know ## \delta_{1999,t} \delta_{1999,t} = 1 ##?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
has your lecturer not taught you the summation convention (the einstein summation convention)?

has your lecturer not taught you the summation convention (the einstein summation convention)?

No, not yet, however in my applied mathematics lecturer we just started it today - so I know very little about it (almost nothing).

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, not yet, however in my applied mathematics lecturer we just started it today - so I know very little about it (almost nothing).

oooh :redface:

ok: this sort of question is very difficult to do without either the summation convention or a ∑
whenever you see a δr,s, you know it's going to be multiplying something else with either an r or an s (or both)

and since all these things are parts of matrices, you know it's actually going to be a matrix multiplication:

A = BC means Ar,s = ∑(all values of t) Br,tCt,s

you can either write it with a ∑ (like that),

or you can use the summation convention and just write Ar,s = Br,tCt,s (with a "∑" being understood but not written)

that enables you to say "δr,s replaces any s in the thing next to it by r", eg δr,sAs,u = Ar,u

alternatively, use a ∑ : ∑ δr,sAs,u = Ar,u

in particular, δr,sδs,u = δr,u

(or ∑s δr,sδs,u = δr,u)

ok, try all that in the original question :smile:

oooh :redface:

ok: this sort of question is very difficult to do without either the summation convention or a ∑
whenever you see a δr,s, you know it's going to be multiplying something else with either an r or an s (or both)

and since all these things are parts of matrices, you know it's actually going to be a matrix multiplication:

A = BC means Ar,s = ∑(all values of t) Br,tCt,s

you can either write it with a ∑ (like that),

or you can use the summation convention and just write Ar,s = Br,tCt,s (with a "∑" being understood but not written)

that enables you to say "δr,s replaces any s in the thing next to it by r", eg δr,sAs,u = Ar,u

alternatively, use a ∑ : ∑ δr,sAs,u = Ar,u

in particular, δr,sδs,u = δr,u

(or ∑s δr,sδs,u = δr,u)

ok, try all that in the original question :smile:
ok using all for part c):

## (\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) )_{r,s} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1} ^{n} \epsilon (i,j) _{r,t} \epsilon (k,l) _{t,s} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^{n} \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} \delta _{ls} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^n \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{jt} \delta _{ls}## if j = k, which then is ## = \delta _{ir} \delta _{jj} \delta _{jj} \delta _{ls} + \displaystyle \sum_{t \not= j } \delta_ {ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} \delta _{ls} = \delta _{ir} \delta _{ls} + 0 = \epsilon (i,l) ## if ## j \not= k ## then we get ## \displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^n \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} \delta _{ls} = 0 ## as t cannot equal k and j simultaneously

is that ok?

what is part c) ? :confused:

sorry I didn't label in the original post part c is this:

" hence generalise for ##\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l)##"

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ok using all for part c):

## (\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) )_{r,s} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1} ^{n} \epsilon (i,j) _{r,t} \epsilon (k,l) _{t,s} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^{n} \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{kt} \delta _{ls} = \displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^n \delta _{ir} \delta _{jt} \delta _{jt} \delta _{ls}## if j = k,

no, that last item should be ## = \displaystyle \delta _{ir} \delta _{jk} \delta _{ls}##

and then rewrite that as ##= \delta _{jk} (\delta _{ir} \delta _{ls})##

so now you have ##(\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) )_{r,s}= \delta _{jk} (\delta _{ir} \delta _{ls})##

sooo … ? :smile:

(btw, you don't need to write "\displaystyle" on this forum :wink:)

no, that last item should be ## = \displaystyle \delta _{ir} \delta _{jk} \delta _{ls}##

and then rewrite that as ##= \delta _{jk} (\delta _{ir} \delta _{ls})##

so now you have ##(\epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) )_{r,s}= \delta _{jk} (\delta _{ir} \delta _{ls})##

sooo … ? :smile:

(btw, you don't need to write "\displaystyle" on this forum :wink:)

## = 1\times \epsilon (i,l) ## ?

is everything else correct that I've written?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
## = 1\times \epsilon (i,l) ## ?

nearly :smile:

(what happened to the δjk ? :wink:)

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
yes, but you want a general formula for ## \epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) ## :wink:

yes, but you want a general formula for ## \epsilon (i,j) \epsilon (k,l) ## :wink:

I'm really not sure what to put

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
say it (partly) in words, starting "ε(i,j)ε(k.l) is … ", and then we'll put it completely into symbols :smile:

say it (partly) in words, starting "ε(i,j)ε(k.l) is … ", and then we'll put it completely into symbols :smile:

it's epsilon(i,l) if j = k else it's 0,

thanks for your patience

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
it's epsilon(i,l) if j = k else it's 0,

ok, so it's epsilon(i,l) times … ? :smile:

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
(just got up :zzz:)

yes!!

ε(i,j)ε(k,l) = δjkε(i,l) :smile:

work your way through it, and compare it with parts (i) and (ii), until you're convinced how it works :wink: