1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Matrix Equations Questions

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Rewrite the following Matrix Equation as system of equations:

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been struck down with the flu for the last couple of days, so I missed 2 seemingly important Maths lectures, so I have had to rely on the online slides the lecturer put up at the end of the lectures. We are currently doing matrix equations, and have just been given an assignment on it, which is gibberish to me as all the questions are "formatted" differently if you get what I mean (Only doing Maths as it is a course requirement for one of my majors) to what is shown in the worked examples in the lecture slides.

I have chosen one of the tutorial questions from the tutorial sheet (I would've gone, but said flu screwed me over on that front again) so the above equation isn't part of the actual assignement, I just want to see the working process to figuring out the question so I can attempt the actual questions. If this against the rules, or in the wrong place, disregard topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, let's see where you're at. First, do you know how to multiply matrices together?

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

pandamninator, that is about as trival a problem as you could find! I'll repeat Tom Mattson's question since it is the crucial one: What is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}2 \\ -4\end{array}\right]\left[ X\right][/tex]
    and what exactly do you mean by "[X]"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?