1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic matrix multiplication

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't homework, but I didn't know where else to ask and I have a test in an hour and a half. The study guide says be able to explain why statements like (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 are bogus when dealing with matrix's. Is it because (A+B) = (B+A) but (A+B)^2 /= (B+A)^2 or something? Thx in advance

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PsychonautQQ! :wink:

In any algebra, you can use the distributive law.

So (A + B)(A + B) = AA + BB + AB + BA.

Sooo … ? :smile:

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    well in matrix multiplaction, AB /= BA.. so in that regard it differs from normal algebra. My study guide says "Be able to explain why statements like (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 are nonsense.. and you are saying it's not nonsense? o_O
    conflicted ;-/

5. Feb 19, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point is that matrix multiplication is NOT commutative. That is, in general, AB is NOT equal to BA so in tiny-tim's calculation, (A+ B)(A+ B)= AA+ BB+ AB+ BA is NOT equal to [tex]A^2+ B^2+ AB+ AB= A^2+ B^2+ 2AB[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted