Finding Velocity and Acceleration for a Moving Particle

• Thread starter tcc88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, a particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation x = 1.95 + 2.97t − 1.00t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. To find the position of the particle at t = 3.30 s, we substitute the value of t into the equation to get 0.861 m. To find the velocity and acceleration at t = 3.30 s, we differentiate the position function with respect to time once and twice, respectively. This results in a linear function for velocity and a constant value for acceleration. This concept can be related to the distance vs. time equation for a particle with constant acceleration.
tcc88
A particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation
x = 1.95 + 2.97t − 1.00t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds.

(a) Find the position of the particle at t = 3.30 s.
(b) Find its velocity at t = 3.30 s.
(c) Find its acceleration at t = 3.30 s.

I must find the instantaneous acceleration and instantaneous velocity, I already found the position were the particle is at t = 3.30 s [0.861m] but I am having trouble finding the other two. I know I must get the derivative of the equation once for velocity and twice for acceleration to find the answer to this question but I am having trouble. What would the derivative if the equation for acceleration be? Wouldn't attempting to get the derivative twice for that equation yield just a number? I just stared Calc. and for some reason my Physics class is a little ahead of my Calc. I class in Calculus concepts -_-. So please help... I know this kind of question isn't hard, I just need a little bit of guidance.

Thank You.l

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

tcc88 said:
A particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation
x = 1.95 + 2.97t − 1.00t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds.

(a) Find the position of the particle at t = 3.30 s.
(b) Find its velocity at t = 3.30 s.
(c) Find its acceleration at t = 3.30 s.

I must find the instantaneous acceleration and instantaneous velocity, I already found the position were the particle is at t = 3.30 s [0.861m] but I am having trouble finding the other two. I know I must get the derivative of the equation once for velocity and twice for acceleration to find the answer to this question but I am having trouble. What would the derivative if the equation for acceleration be? Wouldn't attempting to get the derivative twice for that equation yield just a number? I just stared Calc. and for some reason my Physics class is a little ahead of my Calc. I class in Calculus concepts -_-. So please help... I know this kind of question isn't hard, I just need a little bit of guidance.

Thank You.l

Just differentiate the function x(t) with respect to time once to get velocity. Then differentiate that to get acceleration.

Yes, in this case, the acceleration will be just a constant. This should not be surprising, because the position function is quadratic (2nd order). You can see that it has exactly the same form as the constant acceleration distance vs. time equation from kinematics that you are probably already familiar with.

EDIT: to clarify: A linear (1st order) function has a constant slope (derivative)

A quadratic (second order) function has a derivative that is linear (first order), which means that ITS derivative (the second derivative) is a constant.

Every time you differentiate a polynomial, you reduce its order by 1.

cepheid said:
Welcome to PF,

Just differentiate the function x(t) with respect to time once to get velocity. Then differentiate that to get acceleration.

Yes, in this case, the acceleration will be just a constant. This should not be surprising, because the position function is quadratic (2nd order). You can see that it has exactly the same form as the constant acceleration distance vs. time equation from kinematics that you are probably already familiar with.

EDIT: to clarify: A linear (1st order) function has a constant slope (derivative)

A quadratic (second order) function has a derivative that is linear (first order), which means that ITS derivative (the second derivative) is a constant.

Every time you differentiate a polynomial, you reduce its order by 1.

OK then thank you, I knew it wasn't that hard! :smile:

1. What is basic mechanics?

Basic mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces on objects.

2. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's laws, are: 1) an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, 2) force is equal to mass times acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause objects to slow down or come to a stop. It can also cause objects to heat up, as energy is converted into heat through friction.

5. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.