How many grams of NaCl are needed to make a 2M stock solution?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the amount of NaCl needed to make a 2M stock solution in 50ml. One person suggests using the equation n = m/M, while another person questions where the value of 0.1 came from.
liam91
You have to show your attempts at answering the question, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.

Homework Statement

- How many grams of NaCl (molecular weight = 58 Da) would you have to dissolve in 50ml to make a 2M stock solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have thought about simply multiplying 58 by 0.1 = 5.8 g, but am not sure if this is correct.

It's just the daltons that are throwing me a bit off, also I wasn't too sure if i should be implementing n = m/M.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What relevant equations do you know?

liam91 said:
I have thought about simply multiplying 58 by 0.1 = 5.8 g, but am not sure if this is correct.

Where did you got 0.1 from? (Note: I am not saying it is wrong, I am just asking where it came from).

1. What is basic molecular calculation?

Basic molecular calculation is a method used by scientists to determine the properties and behavior of molecules. It involves using mathematical equations and computational techniques to analyze the structure and interactions of molecules.

2. What are the key components of basic molecular calculation?

The key components of basic molecular calculation include identifying the atoms and bonds within a molecule, calculating bond lengths and angles, analyzing molecular energy and stability, and predicting molecular properties such as polarity and reactivity.

3. What tools or software are commonly used for basic molecular calculation?

Some commonly used tools and software for basic molecular calculation include molecular modeling software, quantum chemistry programs, and molecular graphics programs. These tools allow scientists to visualize and manipulate molecules in a virtual environment, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze results.

4. How is basic molecular calculation useful in scientific research?

Basic molecular calculation is useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of molecules, which is essential in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It also helps in the development of new drugs, materials, and technologies.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in basic molecular calculation?

While basic molecular calculation is a powerful tool, it also has limitations and challenges. One of the main challenges is the accuracy of the calculations, which can be affected by the complexity of the molecule and the computational methods used. Additionally, the results of molecular calculations must be validated through experiments, which can be time-consuming and expensive.