1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Motion Equations

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    I have been reviewing the basic two-dimensional motion equations and I've discovered a conundrum that is causing me much confusion. For example, here is a basic formula with variables:

[itex]v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax[/itex]

[itex]v = ?[/itex]

[itex]vi = 27[/itex]

[itex]a = -7.5[/itex]

[itex]x = 49[/itex]

Therefore:

[itex]v^2 = 27^2 + 2(-7.5)(49)[/itex]

[itex]v^2 = 729 + -735[/itex]

[itex]v = √(-6)[/itex]

When I input the square root of (-6) into my calculator (a TI-83+), I receive a ERR:NONREAL ANS message. Are these values not compatible with this formula?

Here's another similar example, this time with the formula:

[itex]ΔX = vi*t + (1/2)at^2[/itex]

[itex]ΔX = 49[/itex]

[itex]vi = 27[/itex]

[itex]a = -7.5[/itex]

[itex]t = ?[/itex]

I have no idea how to even arrange the equation in terms of [itex]t[/itex]. Is this formula limited to solving displacement?

Thank you for your help and guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your values are just physically impossible. Given that initial velocity and acceleration, you'll never achieve x = 49. (Figure out the maximum value of x.)

Similar issue with the other formula for time. (In general, you can surely solve for the time. You'll get a quadratic equation.)

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    I now see my error. The value [itex]ΔX = 49[/itex] was rounded for significant figures, and should have instead been [itex]ΔX = 48.6[/itex]

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  5. May 30, 2013 #4
    Yeah the second one is a quadratic so you can either set it to 0 and factorise to get your two answers or use the quadratic formula below

[tex]

\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted