Can someone explain the confusion with these basic motion equations?

• Thread starter FlamingAero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses two different equations used in basic two-dimensional motion and the confusion surrounding the input of certain values. The first equation, v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax, was unable to be solved due to physically impossible values. The second equation, ΔX = vi*t + (1/2)at^2, is a quadratic equation that can be solved using either factoring or the quadratic formula. The conversation concludes with the realization that one of the values was rounded incorrectly, leading to the confusion.
FlamingAero
I have been reviewing the basic two-dimensional motion equations and I've discovered a conundrum that is causing me much confusion. For example, here is a basic formula with variables:

[itex]v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax[/itex]

[itex]v = ?[/itex]

[itex]vi = 27[/itex]

[itex]a = -7.5[/itex]

[itex]x = 49[/itex]

Therefore:

[itex]v^2 = 27^2 + 2(-7.5)(49)[/itex]

[itex]v^2 = 729 + -735[/itex]

[itex]v = √(-6)[/itex]

When I input the square root of (-6) into my calculator (a TI-83+), I receive a ERR:NONREAL ANS message. Are these values not compatible with this formula?

Here's another similar example, this time with the formula:

[itex]ΔX = vi*t + (1/2)at^2[/itex]

[itex]ΔX = 49[/itex]

[itex]vi = 27[/itex]

[itex]a = -7.5[/itex]

[itex]t = ?[/itex]

I have no idea how to even arrange the equation in terms of [itex]t[/itex]. Is this formula limited to solving displacement?

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
FlamingAero said:
Are these values not compatible with this formula?
Your values are just physically impossible. Given that initial velocity and acceleration, you'll never achieve x = 49. (Figure out the maximum value of x.)

Similar issue with the other formula for time. (In general, you can surely solve for the time. You'll get a quadratic equation.)

Doc Al said:
Your values are just physically impossible.

I now see my error. The value [itex]ΔX = 49[/itex] was rounded for significant figures, and should have instead been [itex]ΔX = 48.6[/itex]

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Yeah the second one is a quadratic so you can either set it to 0 and factorise to get your two answers or use the quadratic formula below

[tex]

\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
[/tex]

I can understand your confusion with these basic motion equations. It is important to note that these equations are derived from the laws of motion and are meant to describe the relationship between different variables involved in motion. However, there are certain assumptions and limitations to these equations that must be taken into consideration in order for them to be applicable.

For the first equation, v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax, it is important to note that this equation only applies to objects moving with constant acceleration. This means that the initial velocity (vi) and acceleration (a) must remain constant throughout the entire motion. In your example, the values of vi = 27 and a = -7.5 do not remain constant, as they are both changing with respect to time (t). This could be one reason why you are getting a non-real answer when solving for v. Additionally, taking the square root of a negative number is not possible in the real number system, which is why your calculator is giving you an error message.

For the second equation, ΔX = vi*t + (1/2)at^2, it is important to note that this equation only applies to objects moving with constant acceleration in a straight line. In your example, ΔX = 49 and vi = 27, but we do not have a value for t. This could be because the equation is not applicable in this scenario, as the object may not be moving in a straight line or may not have constant acceleration.

In conclusion, it is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of these equations in order to use them correctly. They are useful tools for describing the relationship between different variables in motion, but they may not always be applicable in all scenarios. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the confusion you were experiencing.

1. What are the basic motion equations?

The basic motion equations are a set of formulas used to describe the motion of an object, including its position, velocity, and acceleration, over time. They are derived from the laws of motion formulated by Isaac Newton.

2. What is the equation for average velocity?

The equation for average velocity is v = (xf - xi) / t, where v is the average velocity, xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, and t is the time interval.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. Can these equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, these equations can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or projectile motion. However, certain modifications may need to be made for more complex situations.

5. What is the significance of these equations in science?

The basic motion equations are essential tools in understanding and analyzing the physical world. They are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, to make predictions and solve problems related to motion.