Basic motion stuffs, time and velociton

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the time when two particles traveling at different velocities will meet. The equation used is distance = rate x time, with the distance being the sum of the initial distance between the particles and their individual distances traveled based on their velocities. The final equation becomes linear after taking into account the relative velocity between the two particles.
k3l
Basic motion stuffs, time and velociton :(

hi
oh my gosh... i can't believe i forgotten how to do this...
i have to work out the time when will the two particles meet... where one particle (A) is traveling at a velocity of 80km/h, and (B) is traveling with a velocity of 100km/h while (B) is 350km behind (A)
(assume they are traveling toward the same directions)

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] s_a = s_b [/tex]
[tex] s_a = s_0 + v_a * t [/tex]
[tex] s_b = v_b * t [/tex]

Insert both in first equation and calculate t.

Basic algebra.

Distance=rate x time

D1=x
D2=x+350
so for the equation distance = rate x time just plug in x and x+350 as your distance, use t for time
since x is the same value, you can combine the two and solve for t.

I'm a bit confused, do you add the 2 distances?
[tex]x+x+350=100 \\ or \\ 80? *t?[/tex]
Maybe I'm stupid but I'm confused...

use relative time frames. Take the moving particles frame that is behind the other particle, subtract the other cars speed and no consider that the other particle is stationary.

[tex] V_{slower\ particle} = 80km/h [/tex]
[tex] V_{faster\ particle} = 100km/h [/tex]
[tex] V_{faster\ particle\ relative\ to\ slower\ one} = 100km/h - 80km/h = 20km/h [/tex]

now your system becomes linear.

use:

[tex] d = Vt [/tex]

you should know what to sub in where.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is basic motion?

Basic motion refers to the movement of an object from one place to another. It can be described in terms of distance, displacement, speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between time and velocity?

Time is a measurement of the duration of an event, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

5. How does acceleration affect basic motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can either speed up or slow down an object's motion, and can also change its direction. When an object is accelerating, its speed and/or direction is changing.