• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Basic multiplication troubles

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I realized my biggest problem with math so far is I'm having trouble with basic multiplication, and was wondering what was the best way of learning the basic multiplication tables?

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Drill and exercise.

There's no trick. You just have to do it again and again until you have it. You shouldn't even think about anything less than 13 by 13 or so, it needs to just be a reflex.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Whatever helps you memorize the table. Flash cards worked well with one of my students last year.

Before I went back to school for math (at 35) I literally went to the kid section in the bookstore and bought flashcards for multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. (Funnily enough I found out I was worse at addition and subtraction than multiplication and division.)

There's also stuff online (just google) and also if you have a smartphone there are a lot of great apps. I have a few on my droid that I go through sometimes. I don't want to be one of those people who can only do advanced math but forgets how to do arithmetic, so I intend to keep it up.

-Dave K

khanacademy.org has a ton of basic math exercises you an do online.