How Many Numbers Cannot Be Written as xa+yb?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the numbers between 1 and ab-a-b that cannot be written in the form xa+yb, where x and y are nonnegative integers and a and b are relatively prime natural numbers. The solution involves finding the set of solutions in Z^2 for (x,y) depending on a, b, u, and v, and some factors k and k'.
EulerRules
If a and b are relatively prime natural numbers, how many numbers cannot be written on the form xa+yb where x and y are nonnegative integers?

My thoughts:
Let n be a fixed integer such that[itex]n=ax_{0}+by_{0}[/itex]. Assume that we want to minimize [itex]x_{0}[/itex] but keep it nonnegative. Then the following must be true:
[itex]0 \leq x_{0} \leq b-1[/itex]
If n cannot be expressed where both x0 and y0 are positive (I am trying to get at the maximum number which cannot be expressed on above form), then the following must be true as well
[itex]y_{0} \leq -1[/itex]
and
[itex]ax_{0}>n[/itex]
Since y0 is negative, the following holds true:
[itex]ax_{0}-b \geq n[/itex]
And since [itex]x_{0}\leq b-1[/itex]
[itex]a(b-1)-b \geq n \rightarrow ab-a-b \geq n[/itex]
The largest number that cannot be written on above form is ab-a-b. How do I determine what numbers between 1 and ab-a-b that cannot be written on the form?

IF you have any other ideas on how to solve this problem, please share them with me. But do keep in mind that I'm only a junior in high school so I may not be familiar with more "advanced" methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##a## and ##b## are relatively prime, you can find ##(u,v)\in \mathbb{Z}^2## such that ##1 = a u + bv## (Bezout theorem).
You must have ## a (x -u(ax+by) ) = b (v(ax+by) - y) ##.
Using again that ##\text{gcd}(a,b) = 1##, ## a ## divides ## (v(ax+by) - y) ## and ## b ## devides ## (x -u(ax+by) ) ##. Solving that will give you the set of solutions in ##\mathbb{Z}^2## for ##(x,y)## depending on ##a,b,u,v## and some factors ##k,k'##.

geoffrey159, you replied to a post two years old. The poster hasn't logged into PF since that time.

Sorry, I won't do it anymore

1. What is the definition of "xa+yb"?

"xa+yb" is a mathematical expression that represents all possible combinations of two numbers, x and y, raised to different powers, a and b, and added together. For example, 2a+3b is a possible combination of "xa+yb".

2. How do you determine which numbers cannot be written as "xa+yb"?

The numbers that cannot be written as "xa+yb" are known as "non-representable numbers". They can be determined by using a mathematical principle known as the "Frobenius coin problem" or by using algorithms such as the "Goldbach's conjecture".

3. Are there any patterns or rules for determining "xa+yb" non-representable numbers?

While there is no known universal rule for determining all non-representable numbers for "xa+yb", there are some patterns that have been observed. For example, it has been found that numbers that are prime or have a prime factorization of 2^k cannot be written as "xa+yb".

4. Can "xa+yb" non-representable numbers be written in other forms?

Yes, "xa+yb" non-representable numbers can be expressed in other forms, such as in terms of logarithms or using other mathematical operations. However, these alternative forms may not always be convenient or practical to use.

5. What is the significance of understanding "xa+yb" non-representable numbers?

Understanding "xa+yb" non-representable numbers is important in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It also has practical applications in computer science, such as in developing more efficient algorithms for data encryption and compression.