1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Ohm's Law Question

1. Nov 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

So I'm just curious whether or not the following statement is correct for the circuit shown. It's part of a bigger problem involving OP-AMPS, the part of the circuit shown is the upper loop connecting from the inverting to the output.

I was just having some doubts in my mind and wanted to confirm whether or not the equation i have written is correct.

ec61ee1761.png

2. Relevant equations
    Ohms Law. V = IR.

3. The attempt at a solution

d66ba13ae1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

For the given component values it looks okay. Presumably the rectangular component is meant to represent a 1 F capacitor?

4. Nov 29, 2017 #3
    Interestingly gneill seems to understand your circuit and terminology, but I am struggling with it. However, any way I look at it I cant see the rectangular component as being a capacitor unless the OP AMP in question is a differentiating OP AMP and even then I would need to see a feedback resistor which is a key part of the the various voltage components. Since we are doing V = IR (or in this case I = V/R) I cannot understand this to be differentiating problem, so I would read that the rectangular component is a resistor with a value of 1/S but I am not able to determine what 'S' signifies. Also, if this is an integrating OP AMP, then there must be two resistor, R input and R feedback.
    I may be just having a dumb day, bit I would like to see a full circuit, with the components correctly defined before I could comment on the correctness of the value terminology used in the equation.

5. Nov 29, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The 's' is the Laplace domain "frequency" variable/operator (yes, it's both). Reactive components such as inductors and capacitors have impedances in the Laplace domain of the forms:

Inductance L: sL
    Capacitance C: 1/(sC)

Laplace transforms are a very handy way to write and solve differential equations using simple algebra.

6. Nov 29, 2017 #5
    It is a sad day when you don't learn something new:smile: Although vaguely aware of Laplace transformations I have never used them.
    For a differentiating OP AMP I would use the formula Iinput = C x dVinput/dt

7. Dec 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM #6
    Yes! That's exactly what it was meant to be. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted