Understanding the Virtual Earth Approximation in Op-Amps

• Thread starter gabloammar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the concept of the virtual Earth approximation is crucial in understanding how the inverting amplifier works. It states that in this approximation, the potential at the inverting input is very close to 0 V. This is due to the high open-loop voltage gain of the op-amp, which requires a small potential difference between the inverting and non-inverting inputs. This is further supported by the equation G=Vout/Vin, where a smaller difference in values results in a larger gain. Therefore, in order to achieve a gain of -5, the voltage difference between V- and V+ must be adjusted accordingly. This approximation is important for analysis and design purposes.
gabloammar

Homework Statement

I'm studying op-amps at the moment, and I came across a statement and I don't understand it.

'To understand how the inverting amplifier works, you need to understand the concept of the virtual Earth approximation. In this approximation the potential at the inverting input (-) is very close to 0 V. Why is this true? There are two steps in the argument.

1. The op-amp multiplies the difference in potential between the inverting and non-inverting inputs, V- and V+, to produce the output voltage Vout. Because the open-loop voltage gain is very high, the difference between V- and V+ must be almost zero.

2. The non-inverting input (+) is connected to the zero volt line so V+ = 0. Thus V- must be close to zero and the inverting input (-) is almost at Earth potential.'

I get the second point, and I even understand most of what the first point is trying to tell me. But, see, it says that for there to be a large gain, there has to be a small potential difference between the inverting and non-inverting inputs. But isn't it correct that G=Vout/Vin?

Doesn't that equation mean that the smaller the difference in the two values the smaller the gain? [e.g. 100/10 is larger than 10/10.]

What am I not getting here? I'm sure the book's correct and I'm wrong but I'm not seeing what exactly I'm getting wrong. So can someone please help me a little?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that the intrinsic (open-loop) gain of a real op-amp happened to be 107, and that the amplifier circuit it is built into happens to yield a gain of G = -5 (don't ask how the gain is set right now, you'll be finding that out soon enough).

At the input to this circuit a 1V source is connected so that we expect -5V at the output. What would the voltage difference between V- and V+ have to be in order to produce -5V at the output? Is there a relevant (for analysis or design purposes) difference between this voltage and zero when compared to the voltages between other points in the circuit?

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in analog circuits for amplification, filtering, and signal processing.

2. What are the basic components of an op-amp?

The three basic components of an op-amp are the inverting input, the non-inverting input, and the output. It also has a power supply connection and often includes additional pins for offset adjustment, frequency compensation, and other features.

3. How does an op-amp work?

An op-amp works by taking the difference between the voltages at its inverting and non-inverting inputs and amplifying it by a very large factor. It then outputs this amplified signal. The output voltage will continue to adjust until the two input voltages are equal, creating a negative feedback loop.

4. What is a basic op-amp problem?

A basic op-amp problem typically involves analyzing a circuit with an op-amp and determining the output voltage or other characteristics of the circuit. This can include calculating gain, input and output impedance, and frequency response.

5. How can I solve a basic op-amp problem?

To solve a basic op-amp problem, you will need to have a good understanding of op-amp theory and properties, as well as knowledge of circuit analysis techniques. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and correctly apply the equations and formulas to find the desired output or characteristics. Practice and familiarity with op-amp circuits will also help in solving these problems.