1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Op-Amp Problem.

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm studying op-amps at the moment, and I came across a statement and I don't understand it.

'To understand how the inverting amplifier works, you need to understand the concept of the virtual earth approximation. In this approximation the potential at the inverting input (-) is very close to 0 V. Why is this true? There are two steps in the argument.

1. The op-amp multiplies the difference in potential between the inverting and non-inverting inputs, V- and V+, to produce the output voltage Vout. Because the open-loop voltage gain is very high, the difference between V- and V+ must be almost zero.

2. The non-inverting input (+) is connected to the zero volt line so V+ = 0. Thus V- must be close to zero and the inverting input (-) is almost at earth potential.'

I get the second point, and I even understand most of what the first point is trying to tell me. But, see, it says that for there to be a large gain, there has to be a small potential difference between the inverting and non-inverting inputs. But isn't it correct that G=Vout/Vin?

Doesn't that equation mean that the smaller the difference in the two values the smaller the gain? [e.g. 100/10 is larger than 10/10.]

What am I not getting here? I'm sure the book's correct and I'm wrong but I'm not seeing what exactly I'm getting wrong. So can someone please help me a little?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Suppose that the intrinsic (open-loop) gain of a real op-amp happened to be 107, and that the amplifier circuit it is built into happens to yield a gain of G = -5 (don't ask how the gain is set right now, you'll be finding that out soon enough).

At the input to this circuit a 1V source is connected so that we expect -5V at the output. What would the voltage difference between V- and V+ have to be in order to produce -5V at the output? Is there a relevant (for analysis or design purposes) difference between this voltage and zero when compared to the voltages between other points in the circuit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook