1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic optimization problem

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't that hard but I cannot remember a nice Calculus way of doing it. I'm trying to find the ratio of height to diameter of a cylinder that produces the minimum material buckling (B_m)^2. The problem statement my professor provided states that the minimum is found at H/D=0.924, but my attempt at substitution has shown otherwise.

2. Relevant equations
    The formula for material buckling of a cylinder is (B_g)^2 = (2.405/r)^2 + (pi/h)^2 which I have simplified to (B_g)^2 = 4[(2.405/d)^2 + (3.1416/2h)^2] .

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ran a spreadsheet (attached) which varies the ratio H/D from 0.1 to 1.0. Material buckling decreased even beyond H/D=0.924. I fired up Maple but am not that competent with it so I got nowhere. If anyone has any ideas I would be much obliged.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sippyCUP! :smile:

I don't get it … :confused:

You're trying to minimise a/D² + b/h² …

but what are you fixing? constant D? constant h? constant volume?

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Hey tiny-tim,

Both h and d are free to vary... but only the ratio of them matters for the final answer. I'm trying to prove that h/d=0.924 produces the smallest (B_g)^2.

I ran a spreadsheet with d=10 constant and h varying from 1 to 10. This varied h/d from 0.1 to 1. However, the quantity (B_g)^2 decreased the entire time. If h/d=0.924 for minimum (B_g)^2, I should expect it to produce a minimum (B_g)^2 at h=9.24 and d=10.

Obviously the formula does not hold d and h in ratio form. Therefore, I could try changing h to a different value and playing the same game.

EDIT: Having looked at the formula again, I realize this won't help since d and h are the denominators of fractions that will decrease as (d,h) ----> infinity. So I don't really see how the minimum can even occur.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?