Basic Orbit Satalite Questions Please help

• Thread starter willbland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the polar-orbiting environmental satellites (POES) and some military satellites orbit at a lower level to obtain more detailed information. The POES completes an Earth orbit 14.1 times per day. To calculate the orbital speed and altitude of POES, we need the values of G (6.67x10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2) and M Earth (5.98x10^24 kg) to be consistent with the given time in hours and distance in kilometers. Similarly, to calculate the orbital speed and period of the International Space Station (ISS) at an altitude of 226km, we need to use consistent units for G and M Earth.
willbland

Homework Statement

The polar-orbiting environmental satellites (POES) and some military satallites orbit at a much lower level in order to obtain more detailed information. POES complete an Earth orbit 14.1 times per day. What are the orbital speed and the altitude of POES?

T = 1.7 h
G = 6.67x10^-11
M Earth = 5.98x10 ^24

Homework Equations

The international space station orbits at an altitude of approximately 226km. What is its orbital speed and period?

The Attempt at a Solution

What i tried to do was,

R^3 = (G)(M Earth)
T^2 _____4π^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody please help me ! :(

willbland said:
T = 1.7 h
G = 6.67x10^-11
M Earth = 5.98x10 ^24

You have units for the orbital period, why not for G and the mass of the Earth? Those things have units too, and unless you apply them consistently you will get the wrong answer. You used the values [itex]G=6.67*10^{-11}\mathrm{m}^3/\mathrm{kg}/\mathrm{s}^2[/itex] and [itex]M_{\oplus}=5.98*10^{24} \mathrm{kg}[/itex] in conjunction with time in hours and distance in kilometers.

Thank's.

So how do i do the question?

Make sure you use consistent units throughout. That value of G is in m3/kg/s2. If you want to use that particular value, you had better represent lengths in meters, not kilometers, and time in seconds, not hours.

Ooo.. Thanks man :)

But how do i use the equation when they only give that much information, i am lost :( But i do understand your point.

1. What is a basic orbit satellite?

A basic orbit satellite is an object that is placed into orbit around a planet or other celestial body. It is designed to perform various functions, such as communication, navigation, and remote sensing.

2. How does a satellite stay in orbit?

A satellite stays in orbit due to a balance between its forward motion and the gravitational pull of the body it is orbiting. The speed of the satellite and its distance from the body must be just right for it to stay in a stable orbit.

3. What is the difference between a geostationary and a polar orbit satellite?

A geostationary satellite orbits the Earth at the same rate that the Earth rotates, so it appears to stay in a fixed position above a specific location on the planet. A polar orbit satellite passes over the Earth's poles, providing global coverage but with less frequency over any specific location.

4. How do satellites communicate with Earth?

Satellites communicate with Earth via radio waves. They have transmitters and receivers that send and receive signals to and from ground stations on Earth.

5. What is the lifespan of a satellite?

The lifespan of a satellite can vary depending on its design and purpose. Some satellites have a planned lifespan of a few years, while others can operate for decades. Factors such as solar activity, atmospheric drag, and technical malfunctions can also impact a satellite's lifespan.